Pleco not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghostshrimp92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone I was hoping someone could shed some light on why my albino bristlenose pleco won't eat any of the veggies I put in. At first he ate some of the cucumber but now he won't touch it but he'll still go after an algae wafer. Please help. I don't want to lose him

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have you tried waiting a few days without feeding him and then put in a piece of cucumber? ( I would recommend blanched broccoli stems or carrots - cucumber doesn't have a lot of nutrition in it).

It isn't great for them to eat algae wafers everyday.

I've tried waiting a day. Should I wait like 2 days than give him broccoli?

it takes a few days sometimes for them to realize its food expesaly if there are plants in the tank , make shore its on or near the bottom
if he will not eat fresh or blanched veggies you need to get a high quality wafer made for plecos , kens fish has some great ones for a good price

Ken's Premium Veggie Wafers

BN plecos are omnivores, so it's important to not forget about the protein requirements. A high quality pellet will provide both the protein, as well as algae (often more than the "algae" wafers) and plant matter. That should be the cornerstone of the plecos diet. From there you can augment with the fresh veggies.

Many Plecos need wood in their diet. I use Planet Catfish for most of my info as they are serious breeders.

"FeedingIt is thought that elements in bogwood, particularly lignin, may form an essential part of Bristlenose diet. Certainly they have the immensely long guts common to vegetarians, and although they fall avidly on the occasional meal of live food or prawns, the bulk of their diet must be composed of vegetable matter. If a high protein diet is fed constantly, then they will become prone to stomach disorders. Vegetable roughage keeps the gut in working order, and bogwood is a valuable addition to this.*
Fry will feed from free-swimming on the same diet as parents. It may help to blanch vegetables when feeding young fry, as it helps them rasp off the food stuff."

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=49

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom