Questions before i stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomd500

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It seems im always ovehauling my tank because of a casualty.
I have a 10 gal(us) thats thickly planted with dwarf hair grass, crypts, bacopa, and ludwigia. I had a betta (fred, recently deceased) 4 mystery snails, and 2 long fin zebra danios. After fred died, i immediatly did a 50% pwc, and let my tank settle(as i like to do after a casualty) for 2 weeks. I tested my water today and readings were dead on, picture perfect, ideal in every sense.
My question is, i want to restock but i want a more lively tank instead of a solo(ish) fish tank
Im wondering, would i be able to have 3 harlaquin rasboras, 3 silver hachetfish, and add 4 ( a total of 6) long fin danios, and have my 4 snails also? I always always do water changers and have a marineland penquin 100 filter on it, temp is 78-80 all the time.
Would this work? Any ideas?

Ehhh those fish should be in larger groups and they really need more room than a 10g provides. There are nano fish you could try like celestial pearl danios and really tiny rasboras. Even pygmy cories! Try searching the forum for nano tank stocking ideas, you will find plenty! Your ideas would have your tank overstocked and improperly stocked

Also what water test kit do you have! The api is best, the strips are not very accurate

I do have the api, my tank has been well established for about a yer, maybe if i deleted the rasboras would it become acceptably?

Hatchetfish i think are quite active. Look up their profile on google and see what you find. I think a 10g is too small. But look them up.
Danios are ok, get 6 or so. I think their beauty can't be appreciated in a 10g so i don't recommend that. They do need room to swim, they are so active.

Guppies are a good option and super colorful, you could get 6 of those but only males! They breed like crazy.

Mystery snails have quite a bioload honestly, i would only put 1 in there myself. Maybe 2. But i would choose just 1. You could get a couple nerites but only if you have an algae problem. Ramshorns are considered a pest but i like them, but they can quickly overrun the tank.

I agree with what's above, the fish you have selected aren't really suitable for a ten gallon because they're so active.

You could try a school of Pygmy cories or other dwarf fish like chili rasboras or celestial pearl danios. :)

THANKS!
ill do more reaserch untill i finally decide, thanks again

THANKS!
ill do more reaserch untill i finally decide, thanks again
I agree with the above posts that you should continue to look into your stocking. Good to see you agree too!
Some other ideas include pygmy sunfish, celestial pearl danios, scarlet badis, a dwarf puffer, dwarf crayfish, ember tetras, chili rasbora, lampeye killifish, clown killifish, a couple of platys, guppies, pygmy corys (emphasis on the pygmy part of that), Endler's liverbearers, and Asian stone catfish. keep in mind, these are not all compatible together, but you should look into them since they are all very pretty and most of them are more on the active side. :)

I have a friend that has had the long fin danios and hachetfish together and he said the hachets started schooling with tje danio .... Just random banter.
Thank you absolutangel!!!! Thats a lot more fish than i couldve came up with, ill start doin my research very very soon! Im excited!!! 

Back
Top Bottom