Recommendation of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ayatkinson73

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, so I have a 60lt heated aquarium.. The water in my area is very hard I only have a plec and want to add more fish what would you recommend and how many? Ta x

Hi, so I have a 60lt heated aquarium.. The water in my area is very hard I only have a plec and want to add more fish what would you recommend and how many? Ta x

I found a link and looked over the fish that they say thrive in hard water and I think any of these would be great choices for you except the Oscar, your tank is way too small and he would eat anything else you put in. I personally like the Gourami's and Mollies because there are so many varieties to choose from and they add a ton of color to your tank.

Hope this helps,

Darrell

Here's the link
Best Aquarium Fish for Hard Water Tanks - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Sadly, a 60l tank won't be big enough for any plecs or mollies. What is the hardness of your water at? That will help us out in assisting with fish selection.

In my 60 litre tanks i have Kuhli loaches, Neon tetras, Harlequin Rasboras and a pair of Bristlenose plecs i have to rehome soon. Many tetras or Rasboras would do well as would some corydora varieties. A dwarf Gourami or a pair of blue rams might go well as centrepeice fish.

With Tetras and Rasboras they prefer to be in schools usually.

How hard is your water? Numbers would help. For your tank size and hard water I would recommend either platies or for something different, make it a Tanganyikan Shell Dweller Aquarium (check out Lamprologus Brevis, L. Similis and L. Multifasciatus. These are very small fish with attitude. Fish from Lake Tanganyika thrive on very hard water.

Get rid of the pleco. It gets way to big for your tank.

Forgot to mention that you can only keep 1 Lamprologus species in the tank.

If you want something colorful, you might want to look at the African Cichlids, those make for a great display and are guaranteed to brighten up your room. If you want something other than fish, you can try the following plants too: Melanotaenia boesemani, Melanotaenia lacustris, and Glosseopsis incisus. Those all do very well in hard water.

If you do get a chance, let us know the specifics of the water so we can give you clearer advice

Back
Top Bottom