Red tail black shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craigy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I was wondering if a red tail black shark would be ok to go in with 4 zebra danios and 3 phantom tetras?

Craigy said:
Hi I was wondering if a red tail black shark would be ok to go in with 4 zebra danios and 3 phantom tetras?

What size tank? I could see the danios being lunch!!

Hi yes the tank is a little small for a red tailed black shark,they can be quite feisty! Perhaps way up your options and see what else would be more suitable:fish2:

RTS are VERY territorial they may do fine at first but as it matures it will Kill every smaller fish in the tank. I used to have one a while ago It will hunt down and kill danios for sport...
Though I understand the attraction I think they are beautiful fish too...

Hi RTBS are very quarrelsome and will chase fish all over the place but never had one kill another fish yet? But all the RTBS i have kept have been in much larger tanks at least 30 gallon plus!

I have one and I'm in the process of finding him a new home. Very nice to look at but nasty attitude. Mine has killed two of my cories over the last month.
Hi sorry to hear about your losses,I know rtbs can be feisty but never realised they could be that feisty!:hide: Good luck re-homing your culprit!

I rehomed my shark to someone with 125 gallons after it ate all my zebra danios. I don't recommend them in anything smaller than 75 gallons.

Craigy, you should up the existing schools of fish you have prior to purchasing another species. Go for 6 danios and 5 tetras.

As already mentioned, RTS's become very territorially aggressive as they mature and, despite literature, it's not relegated just to fish that resemble them. I recommend a 75gal at minimum with plenty of decor, DW, plants and caves to help establish territories for it to claim.

Their territorial aggression (a polite way of saying nasty attitude) can extend to an entire tank ... so even large tanks are no guarantee.

But hey ... they are pretty fish!

stingrays4 said:
Hi sorry to hear about your losses,I know rtbs can be feisty but never realised they could be that feisty!:hide: Good luck re-homing your culprit!

Thanks. He's on his last warning :p He is so hard to catch I haven't been able to rehome him yet :(

I have one and I'm in the process of finding him a new home. Very nice to look at but nasty attitude. Mine has killed two of my cories over the last month.

i would would totally take him but you wont get him to iowa alive i have a 5 inch BTS and a 7.5 inch bala in my 55

As already mentioned, RTS's become very territorially aggressive as they mature and, despite literature, it's not relegated just to fish that resemble them. I recommend a 75gal at minimum with plenty of decor, DW, plants and caves to help establish territories for it to claim.

Their territorial aggression (a polite way of saying nasty attitude) can extend to an entire tank ... so even large tanks are no guarantee.

But hey ... they are pretty fish!

i have one of those half peices of sunken ship that he holds hostage lol

Back
Top Bottom