Salvage score

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sixtyfou

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a free garage score. I haven't measured it for size yet. It's at least 40G. I started clean up and check right away. If she checks out I'll use this to do a straight test run.

Nice find. Interested in hearing what the dimensions/capacity are. I have a feeling it may be a bit smaller than 40 gallons, maybe 25-30? It's always hard to tell from the pictures. What kind of light is that?

Let me get the tape out. The more I guess the more I assume, aned we all know what that leads to.

I'm pretty sure you have a 30 gallon tank. What a score!! A couple weeks ago, I found a 10 gallon reptile setup.. I converted it to freshwater setup. I love freebies! What do you think you will put in it?

I believe those are the dimensions of a 29g tank.

I got back into the fish keeping game because of a similar score. We had our neighborhood garage sales and someone was trying to sell a complete 29g setup (tank, hood, stand, filter, heater..etc) for $50. Didn't have a ton of money so I passed. Apparently everyone else did as well because a day or two later it was out out for the trash along with a 10g and a couple misc air pumps. Picked it up and everything worked except the Aqueon filter, which worked but was physically busted. Called them to see about purchasing a replacement part and they sent me an entire new filter for free.

It is a 30G. Which totally lead me to the next realization. The tank I've been thinking was a 30G for the last month is a 20G. Huh, well that changes a lot of things.

The first thing I want to do is log a compete set of test data on a fishless cycle set up. Eventually this tank will be the home of the glofish I'm breeding.

Congrats on some nice scores guys. 20G in my opinion are the biggest tanks that are still easy to find space for, but large enough to have some variety in the tank if desired.

I started out with a 20G years ago ($250 with stand and a hood i don't use) and recently got into planting tanks so i decided to find more tanks. My recent scores are
- 2x20G for $5 each. plus a couple of 5G for another $5
- A slightly smaller tank that i haven't measured but has the same lower dimensions as the 20's i'd guess 12-15G (paid $2.25 which was all the coins i had on me). I could also have taken a cube tank housed in an old computer for no extra cost but left it behind (I kind of regret leaving it now as it was an interesting tank).
- And my big score was a 40G with a broken end pane for $30. Repairs have been quoted at an extra $30 so $60 for a 40G tank.

Well that tank didn't have the pump or filter. It's one of those Marineland Eclipse set ups. The parts to get it up and running will be around $75, and I'm not sure I like the way it works, or the fact that it's discontinued. So I'm looking at lids and pumps, and I'm made the fatal mistake of looking at Craigslist. I just need/want a lid and a filter, but the best deals are ones where people are getting rid of full set ups including fish. I really don't NEED more fish, but I can't help, but want them.

Shamey, shamey on you! That sucks that it could cost to replace the filter and hood. Craigslist is fun but it really makes you wish things you shouldn't be wishing. I'm constantly on it....

So, what started as looking for a filter and a lid turned into a fish rescue project. I just picked this up for $60.

20gal. Fish tank with stand and comletete Setup and fish - $75 (Westside Columbus)

20gal. Long fish tank and metal stand. Completely setup with light, 2 filters,aerator,heater, rocks and gravel, plants and also 6 fish I have a red devil chiclid an African chiclid a firemouth chiclid and 2 Cory catfish and a long wiskeres catfish very healthy fish just don't have space for tank anymore please.

The conditions these fish were keep in were rough. I unfortunately, don't keep this kind of fish ATM. So I'm due for a lot of reading in the next couple of days, and my tank planning is now totally screwed. I'm going to move them in as they came, and then work to quickly cycle the 30G and rehome them. I realize that's not even big enough, but it's a step in the right direction, and then I'll go from there.

The conditions

I had the same thought. I'm going to stop over and talk to my favorite sales person and see if she's interested. These are really cool fish, but they just fit in my system.

I was told they were changing the water once a month. It looked like mud when I siphoned it out. I'm going to test it now. It's amazing that they lived. Hopefully they make it through the move, and I can somehow provide them with a better life. I'll post some more details as I go.

Here's a surprise: pH 6; Am 0.25; NO2 0; NO3 0. From the existing tank water. Now I'm starting to question my testing standards.

*Gets out API directions*

So, what started as looking for a filter and a lid turned into a fish rescue project. I just picked this up for $60.

20gal. Fish tank with stand and comletete Setup and fish - $75 (Westside Columbus)

20gal. Long fish tank and metal stand. Completely setup with light, 2 filters,aerator,heater, rocks and gravel, plants and also 6 fish I have a red devil chiclid an African chiclid a firemouth chiclid and 2 Cory catfish and a long wiskeres catfish very healthy fish just don't have space for tank anymore please.

The conditions these fish were keep in were rough. I unfortunately, don't keep this kind of fish ATM. So I'm due for a lot of reading in the next couple of days, and my tank planning is now totally screwed. I'm going to move them in as they came, and then work to quickly cycle the 30G and rehome them. I realize that's not even big enough, but it's a step in the right direction, and then I'll go from there.

The conditions

I think you should see if an LFS will take the cichlids. They don't belong together in any tank at any size, let alone a 30 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom