Shrimp ID please ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone ID this shrimp for me please. I think it is a glass or ghost but even the LFS I got it from just said it was a prawn. Great info from them. I got it because they said it would eat the small hair algae growth I've been fighting and guess what? He's not eating ANY of it.

Attachments

• PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 77
He is about 3 - 3 1/2 inches long right now. Fairly big for a glass shrimp I thought. Thanks for your reply mgamer.

Attachments

• PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 61
  • PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 82
  • PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 50
Petshrimp.com -- All about shrimp

Common Name:
Red Claw Macro​
Scientific Name:
Macrobrachium sp. (one of many species from the Macrobrachium hendersoni species complex)​
Size:
up to 8cm (excluding claws) for males, up to 6 cm for females​
Temperature:
best kept at 72°F-82°F
Water Parameters:
Needs soft to medium hard, alkaline water over the long run. Should not be kept in acidic water at all.
Food:
fish food (flake, pellets etc), hair and string algae, "anything edible"
Origin:
India (However, the M. hendersoni species complex is more widely spread in south Asia)​
Larval Development Type:
Completely Suppressed: Larvae assume a benthic lifestyle after hatching, i.e. they are miniature versions of the adults. There is no planktonic larval stage.​

This sight rules! Thanks again :) He is actually very interesting to watch. My daughter thinks he is gross (she is 6). I'd throw you a +1 gamer but I can't give you anymore ;)

You know whats funny about this guy is that the fish store guy grabbed a smaller one that I wanted and it flipped out of the net and bounced around on the floor. He grabbed it up like a little kid with a new-found crawdad and put it back. He then went for this one and it also hopped around but never hit the floor. I brought it home and told my kids to watch out "he's a jumper".... preparing myself for his acrobatics. Sure enough,... as my daughter laughed I chased it across the floor and tossed him in! Lots of character so far in this little guy.

lol you dont want to know how many amanos i have had crawl around on my floor. right as you pour them into the bag they jump. drives me nuts .

Back
Top Bottom