Stocking 30 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGuppyGirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd like to get a school of 6-8 tiger barbs and probably a couple of banjo catfish. However I've also got 2 dwarf gourami's I'd like to put in as well but I don't know if barbs and gourami's make good tank mates. Any opinions are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

no you might try cherry barbs or clown barbs instead if you want a gourami

I think it would be fine, but only 1 gourami. Also make sure the banjos get some food because tiger barbs are crazy eaters.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I know tiger barbs are fin nippers, but I also know that in a proper size school and tank they won't nip other fish.

Depending on the species, mixing gourami can be risky as they will clash with other gourami. Dwarf gourami are especially known for this. If you meant you have 2 already I would separate them. The only real way 2 dwarf gourami can live peacefully under most circumstances, is if it's a breeding pair or the tank is heavily planted.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have 2 dwarf gourami (both male I believe) in a 38 gallon tank. They chased each other for a little while when first introduced, but they pretty much leave each other alone now.

There's a good chance of aggression down the road. If it was me I'd separate them.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom