Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BPD55

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is a 125 gallon tank
This is what I have so far
Angelfish 4
swordtails 3
albino thread fins 3
keyhole cichlids 5
blue acara 2
Large danios 3
Bolivian rams 2
German blue 2
Apistogramma 2

This is what I am possible looking to add I’m on the fence about the Electric blue jacks I have had them before but not in a peaceful/semi tank.
Gourami
Severum
Electric blue Jack Dempsey
Cory’s

Do you guys have any better suggestions on stocking with what I already have?

Can we get a picture of the entire tank so we can see how it's set up and how big the fish are?

What are the albino threadfins, (albino Acarichthys heckelii)?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

--------------------

I wouldn't put Jack Dempsey cichlids in with any of those fish. It will kill everything in the tank when it matures.

I wouldn't put any Corydoras in that tank either because there are too many cichlids and too many of them are bottom dwellers.

I think you have too many cichlids in the tank and it's going to be causing the smaller ones some serious stress. I would think about moving the smaller cichlids (Apistogramma, blue rams and Bolivian rams) into their own tanks so they don't have to compete with other cichlids and they can breed unhindered.

The danios need to be in groups of 10 or more and are generally too boisterous to be kept with sedate fishes like angels and gouramis.

I think there are too many fish in the tank to add big species of gourami.
Do not add any dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) or any of their colour forms because they regularly carry the Gourami Iridovirus and or Fish Tuberculosis (TB). Neither of which can be treated and once they're in the tank, they are there until you sterilise everything in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom