Tank drama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Georgieb45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Having such a nightmare with my new tank !
Had the tank now just under 2weeks , now in the space of 2 days ive got white spot and cloudy water due to high amonia , lost 1 angel , got the spot under controll and going to do a water change tomorrow , seriously think im jinxed !! First ever tropical tank failureeeee !! Grr

I think you may have a outbreak of Ich!

Treat with special chemical's and read the label on it as to how much to dose fish with it.

You will have cloudy water as your filter hasnt filertaion all of the water.
And also you wouldnt have much bios which is a good thing.

Hook the dead the fish out , leave the tank alone.

Wait for 2 weeks then things should of cleared.

Also if you havent already buy a Api Liquid Test Kit
It is £25 but will help you massivly.
It is a must have really.

If your Ammonia And Nitrate Level's are high then you should partial water changes every few days.

Buy a gravel vacum cleaner! :)

And always remember when putting in new fish water add the correct amount of "Conditiner" Which takes the chroline out so your fish will stay alive.

Dont buy any fish for about a month!

You should of waited a week then bought some hardly fish i.e mollies platys !

But dont worry we all make mistakes when we first start.

Just keep trying and dont give up!

I have been keeping fish for just over 3 months and i still havent got my fish tank as to how i want it yet.

Its trial and error.

Until you have a few years experence you will make mistakes!
Dont worry about it

Hope i helped and sorry about my grammer , i am just a school boy!

Thanks
Aston

So a few things, first of all read up about the nitrogen cycle. Your tank hasn't cycled yet and that's part of your problem

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Next thing, don't just go adding chemicals for ich. There are other methods, heat and salt, which some members swear by.

Adding ich meds can have an impact on the good bacteria you need to establish for a healthy tank, refer to the cycling links I posted. If you do use meds, use them at half the dose for a longer time. The bacteria won't be as affected and the fish won't be as stressed since most fish don't take kindly to meds.

Example: product states use 10 drops per gallon per day, 3 days, tank is 30 gallons= 30 drops a day, 90 drops for 3 days

Instead use 5 drops per gallon, 15 drops a day for 6 days, it still equals 90 days, but this way you are cutting down the stress.

I think you may have a outbreak of Ich!

Treat with special chemical's and read the label on it as to how much to dose fish with it.

You will have cloudy water as your filter hasnt filertaion all of the water.
And also you wouldnt have much bios which is a good thing.

Hook the dead the fish out , leave the tank alone.

Wait for 2 weeks then things should of cleared.

Also if you havent already buy a Api Liquid Test Kit
It is £25 but will help you massivly.
It is a must have really.

If your Ammonia And Nitrate Level's are high then you should partial water changes every few days.

Buy a gravel vacum cleaner! :)

And always remember when putting in new fish water add the correct amount of "Conditiner" Which takes the chroline out so your fish will stay alive.

Dont buy any fish for about a month!

You should of waited a week then bought some hardly fish i.e mollies platys !

But dont worry we all make mistakes when we first start.

Just keep trying and dont give up!

I have been keeping fish for just over 3 months and i still havent got my fish tank as to how i want it yet.

Its trial and error.

Until you have a few years experence you will make mistakes!
Dont worry about it

Hope i helped and sorry about my grammer , i am just a school boy!

Thanks
Aston
You don't need to have any chemicals at all. Start doing large, frequent water changes, slowly up the temperature to 86, and add a bubble stone. Good luck!

I would raise the temp to 86 like previously stated, but i would get meds. When i had ich, i used Kordons Ich Attack and the ich was gone after 4 days. Worked great, herbal, plant and fish safe.

Back
Top Bottom