The first fragging of the new year.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sunday evening, I did some fragging on my tank in order to thin out the clutter and to get rid of some stuff that just never took off in my tank.

Before the fragging

1_25_04.jpg

After the fragging

1_27_04.jpg

I took the stuff I fragged to the LFS (to cold to ship most places) and figured I might get a new frag or two for my frags. The guy at the LFS, just knew he was getting a good deal, fact is he took himself to the cleaners. He gave me almost 200.00 credit for about 10 frags. Admittedly the cap frags I took him were huge, I still think I made out like a bandit. I was able to pick up a new harback copy of Bornemans Aquarium Corals (we won't go into what happened to the last copy), a clam, a purple monti and some snails and they still owe me money ;)

clam
DSCN5763.jpg

DSCN5764.jpg

Purple monti
DSCN5716.jpg

Why does the before and after photos appear like they are lit at different intensity? Maybe it was a slight change in the camera setting.

WHOOOOOO FRAGS. Why GOD WHy does it have to be in the low teens at night and low 30's in the day time?

In all that time, your cleaner shrimp moved about 2".

Looks good, what happened to the coral that was where the clam is now?

Good job dude!!!!!

That is one of the coolest things about this expensive hobby... is that your hard work and money can end up paying you back partially, with frags. As I learn more and more, I am excited about the potential for frag trading and selling.

For instance, my fancy guppies always pay me back more than it costs to run the tank, I just scoop out a big batch every so often and the LFS is happy to buy them.

My Sarcophyton sp has grown to 9" tall since I got it from exoticfish.com and also the mushrooms are spreading. Hooray! Time to frag the sarcophyton in a couple of months, I'll just let the shrooms spread by themselves.

Inspiring!

8) I heard you mention getting a bigger tank a while back.... what are you considering doing.... do tell... 8)

Why does the before and after photos appear like they are lit at different intensity?

Part of it is the camera settings and part is new actinic bulbs. Tuesday afternoon I received new CSL actinic bulbs, they are much brighter and more blue than the hellolights.com actinics (very purpleish pink) I was using before.

what happened to the coral that was where the clam is now?

There are actually 3 corals that took up space in that area that are now in other peoples tank. The brown monti that was up front, just slowed tremendously on growth after the first time I fragged it, and totally stopped (not really but seemed like it) after the second fragging. There was a small monti?? that was there, as well and I had it for over a year and it did not grow but mabe 25-30% as opposed to some of the other corals...so it is also in someone elses tank. Not sure why, but the gorg that was there started growing well, then over the last couple months seemed like it was wasting away. I also remoed the large shroom rock that was on the far left side of the tank to make room for the rics over there, where they were in the first pic, the orange was stingin my zos and the tricolor was not to far behind. You can also see I fragged the ornage cap, took about 1/4 of the coral, I won't do that again, you can see some stress induced bleaching in the second pic. Hopefully it will repopulate in the next week or so. I got rid of one of my pocilliporas and quite a bit of the T. reniformis in the front on the right, also got rid of quite a few star polyps, just not enough.

I heard you mention getting a bigger tank a while back.... what are you considering doing.... do tell...

I'm hoping to get into a 75g rr by the end of the summer, then I'll make the 20g a frag tank.

Back
Top Bottom