Tiny snail in my tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ViPz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I found a tiny little snail in my aquarium, it must have been on a couple of the live plants I bought to put in there.
My 6 rasbora dont seem bothered, I'm happy for it to stay in there, but just wondering if it will have any long term effects or will it need any extra care?

Regards,

A new aquarium owner

If it was me, I'd squish him. Where there is one hitchhiker snail, there are bound to be more. But it's up to you.

To be honest, people exaggerate over snails. They are interesting to look at and are not really a nuisance with proper care. But if you over feed, you will definitely see an over population

But again it depends on the snail. Pictures would help :)

I've had two tanks completely overrun with snails and they have destroyed numerous plants. But I do tend to feed on the heavy side. When you get your plants check for little globs of clear sticky stuff on the leaves and wash it off. Those are the eggs. Best of luck. (y)

zparticle said:
I've had two tanks completely overrun with snails and they have destroyed numerous plants. But I do tend to feed on the heavy side. When you get your plants check for little globs of clear sticky stuff on the leaves and wash it off. Those are the eggs. Best of luck. (y)

Hey thanks for coming back to me! After reading ur post, I inspected my plants, they are not looking very healthy, the leaves all look brownish, could this be the work of such a tiny snail?? Do harlequins eat the leaves? If I find more than one snail, I'll get rid of em I think

Cornstar said:
To be honest, people exaggerate over snails. They are interesting to look at and are not really a nuisance with proper care. But if you over feed, you will definitely see an over population

But again it depends on the snail. Pictures would help :)

Hey thanks, I saw it earlier but now it's hiding again! I'll try n get a pic for ya!

Hey thanks for coming back to me! After reading ur post, I inspected my plants, they are not looking very healthy, the leaves all look brownish, could this be the work of such a tiny snail?? Do harlequins eat the leaves? If I find more than one snail, I'll get rid of em I think

I doubt the little snail hurt your plants. My plants that have been hurt by the hoards of snails tend to have lots of little holes in them.

I am a newbie here. Got a tank with fake plants, so I was surprised to see a little snail in my tank. I thought it was cute and useful. However I started to see a lot more. I took out the plants and washed them out. I counted 70 snails from tiny to medium sized and took them all out. The next day after I had put the plants back in, I saw four more snail, and in no time they were all over the place again. So I got 3 killers snails and saw them go at it, but I think they are a bit slow. I was told that I needed to get more to deal with the overpopulation of the other snails, but instead I got a Yoyo Loach that eat snails. A lot more effective I think as it never stops eating the eggs (I'm assuming that's what it does when it nibbles on the fake plant leaves) and the snails (which is entertaining to watch). As it grows I should probably prepare myself to see it also eat the killer snails, which currently are probably to big for it to eat at this moment. I was just very impressed by the speed by which the sails reproduce!

This is crazy, i changed my tank but didn't clean the plants before I put then in with my new gravel and setup now I keep finding baby snails every other day!!

Little buggers are everywhere, I keep fishing them out and flushing them away but every other day I find another!

Ahhhh!!

One good thing I have read is to use a 5% bleach wash for your plants.

I use 100ml of bleach into 2litres of water.

And I allow my plants upto 3minutes soaking time in this solution. Then I hand rinse them under the tap to remove any left over slimy eggs etc then I dunk them into dechlorinated water.

Then add them into your tank.

I've had an outbreak of Planaria, Copepods and a single snail from plants I didn't wash prior to adding them into my tank.

Jon

i have a single snail but its the only one. it has a huge shell

Back
Top Bottom