Via Aqua 100 Watt Glass Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mdakotared

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased this cheaply priced heater from a LFS last night. It appears to be submersable, and has no clamp like the old clamp-to-the-frame type heaters. It does include 2 suction cups and brackets, already attached. The written instructions (all English!) direct you not to allow the controller to be submerged or exposed to moisture(!). And the graphic illustrations show all below-water-level installations depicted as not safe. But I have seen these heaters labelled as "submersable" :confused: on the internet. I'm playing it safe by attaching this heater vertically, with the "controller" exposed above the water line of my 20 gal.x.h. tank. There's not much room between the controller and the aquarium's glass top. Your advise would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Will the LFS let you exchange the heater for a better one? IMO, if something is supposed to be in my tank, and it says not to expose to moisture, there is something very wrong with it. I would stick with the adjustable, submersible heaters, like the Marineland Stealth. Also, for a 55g tank, I would suggest a bit larger heater.

It's submersible. If you choose to keep it installed as you have it now make sure to turn it off before you do any large water changes or it will break (or worse shatter). Can't be exposed to air when it's on. 100W for a 20 is fine.

Not sure if you're salt or fresh but if you upgrade don't throw it out. I can't count how many heaters I have laying around that I end up with a use for.

On second thought, it's clearly crap. Mail it to me

Via Aqua Saga

I'm pretty sure that the LFS owner is ignorant about this heater, and he just purchased the shop last week. There's a FAX number included with the heater, so I'm going to send off aquestionaire that addresses my concerns. As installed, the heater is doing fine, and the water temperature matches the heater setting. I posted here because I was interested in your responses and those that may be fellow Via Aqua heater owners. I've been keeping FW fish for over 30 years, and I know about the extra heaters, filters, and other fish "stuff" that can accumalate over the years. This unit replaced an old Tetra heater that had finally given up the ghost. I also own Stealth and other, better, heaters, but I weakened on this one because of the price

Just because it's not submersible doesn't mean it's no good. Some of the Ebo Jaeger heaters are not fully submersible, and they're definitely not junk. Just gotta be careful with them.

Personally, I like metal heaters. They tend not to shatter.
Ahab, I have quite a few heaters and even more phs in a box, somewhere.

Last edited:
Too Small For 55 Gal.

The new heater is in a 20 gal. x.h. (male Betta, 2 male Black Mollies,4 Cory's, & Clown Pl*co), I have a 300 watt in the 55.

Back
Top Bottom