1,000G Shark Tank Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ibrahim

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found one for sale and a good price but weighs 10,000 pounds full with stand water rock sump etc and 1,000g with sump. But it won't fit into my basement because the tank is 142"x36"x36" which is basically 12ft by 3ft by 3ft then 40g dual overflows. So it's got to be in my living room. I'm going to put against my wall and lay my furniture against it as if the whole aquarium is my wall (my wall is 15ft so it'll cover almost all of it) The problem I have is that I don't think my floor can withstand 10,000 pounds. So how do I go about reinforcing the floor and how much would it cost??

Saltwater weighs about 12 lbs per gallon x 950 (displacement) = 11400lbs
Live rock- 1000lbs
Sand- 800lbs
Stand (made of a strong metal structure)- 4-500lbs

You actually need to be able to support around 7 tons.

Jlsardina said:
Saltwater weighs about 12 lbs per gallon x 950 (displacement) = 11400lbs
Live rock- 1000lbs
Sand- 800lbs
Stand (made of a strong metal structure)- 4-500lbs

You actually need to be able to support around 7 tons.

Wow that's alot. If I were to get the tank I'd only have 300lb of rock and have very large light coral inserts since its for sharks and rays.

Saltwater doesn't weigh 12lbs/g. It does weigh a little more than freshwater, but just marginally. If the tank truly holds 1000 gallons, I'd estimate it (just the water) to weigh just under 8000lbs with the displacement from the sand and rock. That's 3400lbs less.

I'd second the recommndation to hire a structural engineer though. You're definitely going to have to reinforce with some steel beams, and probably lose the area directly under the tank down in the basement for supports.

mfdrookie516 said:
Saltwater doesn't weigh 12lbs/g. It does weigh a little more than freshwater, but just marginally. If the tank truly holds 1000 gallons, I'd estimate it (just the water) to weigh just under 8000lbs with the displacement from the sand and rock. That's 3400lbs less.

I'd second the recommndation to hire a structural engineer though. You're definitely going to have to reinforce with some steel beams, and probably lose the area directly under the tank down in the basement for supports.

The part of the house I'm planning on putting the tank is built on ground so there is no basement under neath it. I'll upload pics in a bit.

Edit: checked and 3 feet by 15 feet is under the tank :\ But here are pics

image-4261389469.jpg

Where I want the tank to go:

image-2443650263.jpg

The room where the tank should go:

image-4066191849.jpg

The spot where the tank would be from outside:

image-3761526015.jpg

What it looks like without furniture:

Do you think reinforcing would be under 1k?? Tank and equipment is already 6k then rock and sand is 1k, then coral inserts are 1k, then fish are 1k. So I'm looking at 10k and that's IF reinforcing is 1k if it's more I don't think I can get the tank.

I've never had to deal with anything close to this but I use to do flooring for a while and honestly 1k will probably just pay for material on something of this scale. I dont even wanna think what an engineer costs to hire.

Mrc8858 said:
I've never had to deal with anything close to this but I use to do flooring for a while and honestly 1k will probably just pay for material and something of this scale. I dont even wanna think what an engineer costs to hire.

Thanks. It helps alot. I know I can't get an exact estimate here but a basic idea is all I was looking for and that's what you gave me :) I'll talk it out with the family and see if I can still manage to get it.

Actually sorry I wanna take that back.. after re-reading I misunderstood. If you don't have a basement then that'll drop the price majorly. Should be as simple as removing that section of flooring and pouring in a foundation which really shouldn't be to bad on price.

Keep in mind though this is a permanent modification to your home. If I had the funds though I'd have myself a 1000 gallon reef :)

Mrc8858 said:
Keep in mind though this is a permanent modification to your home. If I had the funds though I'd have myself a 1000 gallon reef :)

Haha I wish but that would burn a hole in my wallet. Maybe in the future since it was a reef before.

Hiring an engineer would definetly be the safest way to go but imo you could call some contractors and get some quotes to have them remove your floor and everything below then just pour a foundation for the tank. Its pretty simple unless you have plumbing/electrical running through there which being so much area there probably is

Also- since you want a shark tank- you're gonna need to look for a way to round the corners out. Sharks do not like corners. That's why they are usually placed in round tanks. Could be as simple as just putting inserts in the corners or building a rubble wall

Jlsardina is right. Also I wish I had that tank. That is the one tank that will end my collection. Unless I find a bigger tank.

bettaowner said:
Jlsardina is right. Also I wish I had that tank. That is the one tank that will end my collection. Unless I find a bigger tank.

My collection will end when I get my bubble room with a 360 degree view of my reef (excluding my tunnel out like at the big aquariums).. that'll be my mancave! :)

Great. Now I want that tank. I also want a nice 10,000 gallon aquarium after I read the thread 9,000 gallon build.

Back
Top Bottom