100 gallon predator tank (FUTURE BUILD)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I started up a saltwater aquarium in mid October. Everything's been fine, I turned it into a reef and it looks really good. I'm battling some algae but whatever. It's 37 gallons. I currently have 2 clowns, 1 six line wrasse and 1 lawnmower blenny. I haven't lost a fish yet! Yay!

The thing is now, I'm interested in predator fish.i don't want a lot of fish in the future tank I'd like to get. Maybe like 2 or 3 good sized, entertaining and colourful fish.

If anyone can give me advice on what I should be prepared for when I switch from a 37 gallon reef to a 100+ gallon aquarium that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you can name some fish that would fit in a 100 gallon aquarium that would help me with my decisions on which fish to get. If there aren't really any predator fish that fit in a 100 gallon aquarium, I can go to 125 gallons but the dimensions of the aquarium can't accede 48x24.

I was planning on getting a trigger, an eel, and a six line soap fish

Thank you! :D

if you can go 125 go 125 every gallon counts, looking at predators I'd look at puffers I am slightly bias but they are brilliant fish, toby puffers would be fine as would a dog face puffer in that tank. Triggers are nice fish and you may just about get away with a blue throat in a 125 but they will rearrange the landscape so ensure everything is glued if you do get one. you could get a couple of snowflakes or a golden moray eel that would be pretty cool in those tanks but they are know escape artists so if you want an eel you need to have an aquarum with no gaps or they will get out! must admit never heard of a six line soap fish but from quick search to see what it is i see it is very toxic so worth being wary with. could get any lionfish that you want for the 125 but would obv have to be wary if your planning on transporting your current stock in as your would with the eel tbh or they could become snacks spotted an red hawkfish could be another cool thing to look at as could red angler fish or marine betta. not so predatory fish that would be cool would also be racoon butterfly fish some sort of tang or angle but obv depends if you just wanting predtory tank. hope you find a few of them interesting just realised ive got a bit carried away with the suggestions lol. purely because I'm hoping to be in a similar situation to this soon

Main thing to remember though is all of those fish will happily eat inverts and possibly corrals so wouldn't recommend keeping is as a reef set up.

what do you think about a 90 gallon? its cheaper than the 125 gallon tank and i think itd be easier for me to handle. I'm kind of nervous about the stand. My dad is a master woodsmith and he made this computer desk out of oak. Costed him about $2000 in just wood alone. Anyways, id like to put my aquarium on that. You guys think it would support it? It's extremely sturdy. Ill pst a pick of it tonight when I get home. I really want a trigger fish, possibly a picasso trigger. Theyre the cheapest at my lfs ahaha. A lionfish and a dogface puffer. would they fit in the 90? thank you!

I think the trigger fish need upwards of 180/200g. The desk should support if its solid oak. But would you want to risk ruining it?

Yeah no Picasso unfortunately dog face and lion could both fit just not a volition lion possibly a snowflake eel too?

yeah ill go with a smaller lion, im not too sure about the eel yet. Is it possible that i can have the picasso trigger in my tank when its small, once it outgrows my tank ill sell it?

I would say no as personally I don't think it's fair to the fish to not store it in a tank for its adult size as how do you know when it out grows its tank and if you can definitely sell it straight away when it does? Also Picasso triggers are very aggressive fish and in smaller tank will cause problems. I loved the look of the Picasso but as my tanks too small I got a valentini puffer as it reminded me a bit of the Picasso it's such a cool fish too. As for the angler, maybe a wart skin or red angler they look pretty cool

Anything that won't fit in their mouth so anything bigger than them

I would say no triggers defo, what are you thinking that you have doubts over?

I want an eel, but I want my aquarium to be open top. So no eel... Ahaha. Would I be able to get a tang? I really don't know predator tanks. Do I need a sump?

Back
Top Bottom