150 Gallon tang setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duoc9119

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 150 gallon tank just sitting in the shed outside and thought that it would be a good home for a couple of tangs. I am wondering what I would need to get it started up. What would you guys recommend (heaters, filters, lbs. of rock, sand, powerheads) I don't have the dimensions on hand but it is probably about 5 feet long or so. Since I am not planning on putting corals in the tank, I was planning on using de-chlorinated tap. I might be getting an API tap water filter soon from Foster and Smiths so that might do the trick.

Any thoughts or ideas? I'm pretty new to tangs since I've only started nanos in the 3-6 gallon range. And they are all doing pretty well. So I should, in theory, be able to handle larger tanks, right?

Larger tanks are usually easier to take care of in some respects because they are more stable. Small tanks need more frequent water changes but they are small and easy, larger tanks can usually go a little longer between water changes but they are larger and can be more work.

Is the tank drilled? Here is what i would recomment to set it up.

-sump (30-40 gallon if you can fit it)- i make them my self out of an old tank. I would also consider a fuge for running some macro.
-Protien skimmer - i like ASM but there are plenty of others
-return pump - had good luck with danner mag drive pumps
-two little fishes media canister and small pump for running activated carbon or other medias
-a few power heads for good water movement in the tank
-2 bulb T5 fixture for your lights.
-about 100-120lbs live rock. If you want open water swimmers like tanks the prefer to have more room
-enough sand to cover the bottom with about 1-2inches. See reefcenteral for a sand bed calculator
-2x heaters - i like jager heaters. I use two because heaters are quarky and seem go bad sometimes so it's good to have two in there in case you lose one.

I wouldn't use tap water. It can have all kinds of things in there that can cause you problems and algae outbreaks. I highly suggest getting an ro/di unit for that sized tank.

I would plan on only keeping two tangs in that sized tank. They need a lot of room and if they feel cramped with will stess and can also get more aggressive.

I would also pick up a new 55 gallon trash can and the wheel dolly that goes on the bottom at your local hardware store. I use this to filter/mix my water in so when i need to do water changes i wheel the whole thing out to the tank with an extra pump and some flex hose. This keeps you from hauling buckets of water all over the place.

Larger tanks are usually easier to take care of in some respects because they are more stable. Small tanks need more frequent water changes but they are small and easy, larger tanks can usually go a little longer between water changes but they are larger and can be more work.

Is the tank drilled? Here is what i would recomment to set it up.

-sump (30-40 gallon if you can fit it)- i make them my self out of an old tank. I would also consider a fuge for running some macro.
-Protien skimmer - i like ASM but there are plenty of others
-return pump - had good luck with danner mag drive pumps
-two little fishes media canister and small pump for running activated carbon or other medias
-a few power heads for good water movement in the tank
-2 bulb T5 fixture for your lights.
-about 100-120lbs live rock. If you want open water swimmers like tanks the prefer to have more room
-enough sand to cover the bottom with about 1-2inches. See reefcenteral for a sand bed calculator
-2x heaters - i like jager heaters. I use two because heaters are quarky and seem go bad sometimes so it's good to have two in there in case you lose one.

I wouldn't use tap water. It can have all kinds of things in there that can cause you problems and algae outbreaks. I highly suggest getting an ro/di unit for that sized tank.

I would plan on only keeping two tangs in that sized tank. They need a lot of room and if they feel cramped with will stess and can also get more aggressive.

I would also pick up a new 55 gallon trash can and the wheel dolly that goes on the bottom at your local hardware store. I use this to filter/mix my water in so when i need to do water changes i wheel the whole thing out to the tank with an extra pump and some flex hose. This keeps you from hauling buckets of water all over the place.

Thanks for the info, it will help a lot. No, the tank is not drilled. So would an over flow siphon do the trick?

Back
Top Bottom