180g fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

navytom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Looking for some advice on my stocking list and what order i should try to get them in. i have just finished curing all my rock and cycling my tank, took about 2 months but its done now and last week added my first fish that i really wanted.A 2" Harlequin tusk and for a bigger bioload i got 4 green chromis before i get my expensive fish. I will be keeping the HT but getting rid of the green Chromis once i get more fish in the tank.

Flame Angel
Coaral Beauty Angel
Snow Flake Eel
Foxface lo
Porcupine Puffer
Naso tank
Powder Blue Tang
Yellow tang
Red Tail Trigger
Blue Throat trigger
Bird Wrasse
6 line wrasse(might not grow big enough for not become a snack for the eel.)

let me know what if you have any suggestions of adding or taking away from the stocking list. I was told today by one of my LFS that the two dwarf angels wont work but i havent really heard that, what do you think? I do live about 45min away from LA so finding fish isn't really that difficult i'm just trying to stay away from fish that are two expensive being my first saltwater take. (kept African Cichlids for 3 years)

Thanks for the help.

Hi there based on my own experience
The harlequin tusk Willie any small fish it can get hold of one soon Reaches about 4 inches maybe even less,
As for the rest of your list,
You might get away with that the Dwarf angels be in but you will have a lot of fish in the tank,
The snowflake likes to squeeze between rocks so make sure your work rockwork is secure, again small fish may be at risk,
Fox face should be fine same with the Naso but does get really large, The porcupine puffer Will put a tremendous load on your Biro system also I will eat small fish if you can catch them and because they are such a messy eater can cause problems with water quality which will cause problems for you with the powder blue Tang because they are prone to white spot, The yellow Tang may have problems with the powder blue in the beginning but should settle, The triggers The red tail once it reaches a certain size can become a menace The blue throat is a lot better and likes a lot of room to swim around,
The bird Wrasse again as it gets bigger may be smaller fish,
So if I was to take fish out of that list based on my own experience I would say the Redtail trigger but the puffer would have to come a close second even though it's a great looking fish.
Good luck[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i was thinking about getting rid of the eel and puffer but i might add on the redtail even though i really do like them.

do you think it would be ok with 1 coral beauty and a large angel or should i just look for a large angel? also what large angel would you recomend?

if i do take out the red tail what would you recomend in the way of another trigger?
i have been told to stay away from the clown, niger, and humu.

also what about in the way of wrasse? i did get a fine sand just for these guys. the 6 line wrasse i was thinking might be a bit small but im not sure what i could replace it with.

what would you add to the tank to help or to just better round out it?

thank you.

Hi there
Providing you don't get no small fish The bird mouth would be fine there are loads of other varieties of Wrasse out there have a look at the fairy varieties can be very colourful, as for the triggers going only based on my own experience I would say the bluethroat is the safest by far, pink tail when I had one was perfectly fine when he was small once he reaches a certain size he just went rogue, with the angel side of things coral beauty should be fine try to get there roughly the same size, you need to take into account nothing is guaranteed 100% somethings it's just trial and error. Can depend on how you arrange your rock work For some fish.

coris wrasse I love mine , he's about 8 inch just about every color of a rain bow

porky pines are very hard to keep I had 3 and each lasted about a month
6 vegetarians I would be sure to keep live macro's in the tank
I wouldn't waist my time with a fox face with all them tangs

if it was me I'd get a m/f pair blue throats skip the red tail

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking about getting two Blue throat triggers but i can't find much info on them? Can you tell the M/f apart at the 3-5" size?

Would it be better to take out the yellow tang and get the fox face to eliminate that possible threat with the powder blue?

I really like the Coris Wrasse i think i will get one, and they sleep in the sand which i think is really interesting.

I do keep Chato in my refugium and as it builds up i was planning on placing some in the tank every week.

Here is what i'm looking at for a stocking list now. With room to grow.
Coral Beauty Angel
Large Angel(not sure yet)
Powder blue tang
Naso tang
M&f blue Throat triggers
bird wrasse
Harliquin Tusk
Coris Wrasse

one last thing. with this stocking list would it be possible to get a Goby or is it just to aggressive of a tank?

(my post keep deleting themselfs so i have to rewrite them so they keep getting shorter)

With all those tangs no live macro's would last very long in the DT I keep a lot of tangs myself all those you have listed and more and they will soon decimate any algae that goes in the DT.

I feed mine Nori sheets and they soon rip that to shreds and eat it.

As for removing the chromis I will say good luck on that one they are an absolute nightmare to catch compared to tangs ect I have chromis in mine and they add some nice mid levil colour. However mine is a full reef tank so they have no threat from predators so you may find with predators they will stay in or close to the rocks.

The puffer ect has already been mentioned about the bioload which will be large with those.

I have a powder blue and you only got to look at it wrong and it has WS mine currently has some and it comes and goes has done for a long time but all other fish remain unaffected.

Mine did not have it that bad until my old TMC doser decided to dump all 7 channels in resulting in me doing a lot of water changes 1450 litres in total to bring it back from the verge of a crash which stressed the fish out and the blue spotted up more after that.

Just remember to stock it slowly and let your biological filtration catch up before you add more or before you know it nutrients will be through the roof and up pops algae.

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking about getting two Blue throat triggers but i can't find much info on them? Can you tell the M/f apart at the 3-5" size?

Would it be better to take out the yellow tang and get the fox face to eliminate that possible threat with the powder blue?

I really like the Coris Wrasse i think i will get one, and they sleep in the sand which i think is really interesting.

I do keep Chato in my refugium and as it builds up i was planning on placing some in the tank every week.

Here is what i'm looking at for a stocking list now. With room to grow.
Coral Beauty Angel
Large Angel(not sure yet)
Powder blue tang
Naso tang
M&f blue Throat triggers
bird wrasse
Harliquin Tusk
Coris Wrasse

one last thing. with this stocking list would it be possible to get a Goby or is it just to aggressive of a tank?

(my post keep deleting themselfs so i have to rewrite them so they keep getting shorter)

cheato isn't a palatable macro this macro is basically used for exporting nutrients

you would be better off with something like these
Green macros:
anything in the caulerpa family
Ulva is another good macro but it can be messy
Racemosa Var Peltate / green grape this macro is more desirable for vegetarians

red macro:
anything in the Gracilaria family
Botryocladia / red grape

I like both the red grape and green grape as both grow somewhat fast in the tank but with that amount of tangs you probably wouldn't have to trim them much .
all the macro's I listed grow fairly fast and can if placed right will support all the fish and maintain a steady growth rate. as they are placed in different spots through out the tank . The place I deal with ships bush like plants and has very fair prices , live-plants

the blue throat trigger's male and females look different from one another

Blue Throat Triggerfish

when paired they are so graceful they can actually be the center piece

I would keep the yellow tang over the fox face as they can get nasty at times

Last edited:
Thanks for the macro link. I've heard of people doing a macro alge tanks but it didnt occur to me until now that i could do one. i was planning on just feeding Nori sheets like most people i have found do but if the macro is more natural that would be cool too. however there might be a problem with doing so, i do live in California and im pretty sure Caulerpa is not allowed to be imported into the state and i'm not sure about other alges i will have to ask my LFS about it.

The Blue throats i know once they are grown they look different, i was asking if when they are small you can tell the difference. i don't want to ask for 1 male and 1 female and find out a year later they are both the same.

do you think i would be able to have anythink like starfish, urchins, snails, or gobys?

The male blue throat has a lot more blue around the throat than the female. And the Tusk May eat a Goby Eventually and if you can't get the Chromis out they will be dinner to eventually.

Back
Top Bottom