20g fuzzy dwarf lion tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought you said it was a spare tank you had? I'd have gone bigger if you were buying it

Thought you said it was a spare tank you had? I'd have gone bigger if you were buying it

Getting it for free from a relative so basically a spare. Getting another 20 and a 10 with it aswell. And when you said it will eat crabs does that mean hermits too?

What are the dimensions of the tank? IMO I wouldn't put a fuzzy in anything smaller than a 40B maybe a 30B.

What are the dimensions of the tank? IMO I wouldn't put a fuzzy in anything smaller than a 40B maybe a 30B.

A 20 long is 12" wide, 12" tall, and 30" long. I agree with you. I'm looking at my 20 long right now and thinking 'no way would I put a dwarf fuzzy lion fish in here!! You also need to think about how much space enough rock is going to take up, especially since you aren't running a skimmer. At best he's gunna have just enough room to sit there and not really be able move.

Ive heard max size for these guys is 6.7 inches, most peoples only grow to 4-5 inches in larger tanks. Have any of you had any experience with them? I can try and get a bigger tank for him in a year or so but im getting a FREE 20 long and my mom wont let me get a bigger tank than this ATM.

If you have a 20g and a 10g try and trade for a 30 on craigslist. Or sell em and buy a 30
Also don't assume that they'll only get 4-5 inches, always plan for them to grow to full size or bigger

If you have a 20g and a 10g try and trade for a 30 on craigslist. Or sell em and buy a 30
Also don't assume that they'll only get 4-5 inches, always plan for them to grow to full size or bigger

The maximum size is said to be only 6.7 inches. I dont understand how many people who have them in larger tanks also have them in smaller tanks. Could any of you send me a pic of a fully grown one? That would help me visualize it.

Fishman007

I wouldn't be putting a Fuzzy in a 20 gallon tank. I had a 30 gallon tank and wanted to do one. Liveaquaria says they need a 50 gallon max, but I think a 30 gallon should be ok if it's really the only fish in the tank. You can have maybe 2 more fish in a 30 with the lion being the last fish you put in. Make sure any fish you add is as big as the Lion fish when you first get it. Anything that fits into the lions fish mouth is food, but for some reason the lion fish might not eat fish already in the aquarium when first introduced. Anything you add after is food, that's why the lion fish is the LAST fish you put in.

Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

You got to remember the Dwarf Lion Fish they have at the store are juvenile. They are small when they are being sold. They also require a lot of work when you first buy them. Most of them will not eat frozen food at first, they must be taught how to eat it. They require live foods and freshwater feeder fish will not cut it as they are very bad for the health of the Fuzzy.

You need to get Silver Sides (Frozen) and a feeder stick. Try to entice them to eat the dead thawed out silver sides. Besides that your going to need to buy some cheap saltwater feeder fish and shrimp (live) until you can teach him to eat thawed out silver sides and other frozen foods.

Keeping the Fuzzy dwarf lionfish | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

They reason you can keep the Fuzzy in a smaller tank than it's larger brethren is because they are not active swimmers, but that does not mean you can throw them into tank that is too small. They still need space to swim. I can't find a picture for you, but a fully grown Lion Fish is like a swimming basketball in your tank, they are that big. A Dwarf Fuzzy will be like having a softball swimming in your tank (A little bigger, but still).

Fishman007

I wouldn't be putting a Fuzzy in a 20 gallon tank. I had a 30 gallon tank and wanted to do one. Liveaquaria says they need a 50 gallon max, but I think a 30 gallon should be ok if it's really the only fish in the tank. You can have maybe 2 more fish in a 30 with the lion being the last fish you put in. Make sure any fish you add is as big as the Lion fish when you first get it. Anything that fits into the lions fish mouth is food, but for some reason the lion fish might not eat fish already in the aquarium when first introduced. Anything you add after is food, that's why the lion fish is the LAST fish you put in.

Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

You got to remember the Dwarf Lion Fish they have at the store are juvenile. They are small when they are being sold. They also require a lot of work when you first buy them. Most of them will not eat frozen food at first, they must be taught how to eat it. They require live foods and freshwater feeder fish will not cut it as they are very bad for the health of the Fuzzy.

You need to get Silver Sides (Frozen) and a feeder stick. Try to entice them to eat the dead thawed out silver sides. Besides that your going to need to buy some cheap saltwater feeder fish and shrimp (live) until you can teach him to eat thawed out silver sides and other frozen foods.

Keeping the Fuzzy dwarf lionfish | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

They reason you can keep the Fuzzy in a smaller tank than it's larger brethren is because they are not active swimmers, but that does not mean you can throw them into tank that is too small. They still need space to swim. I can't find a picture for you, but a fully grown Lion Fish is like a swimming basketball in your tank, they are that big. A Dwarf Fuzzy will be like having a softball swimming in your tank (A little bigger, but still).

Alright, would a 29 work? I can try and upgrade to that in 5 months. Would he be fine in the 20 long for that time? I understand i will need to feed him live and frozen foods unil i can get him to eat frozen. How long would it take to train him?

A standard 29 gallon doesn't have that large of a footprint. IMO, just put him in the proper tank from the start.

What are the deminsions on a 29? So a 30? Would he be fine until april?

A 29g is 30 x 12 x 18. Same footprint of a 20L, just taller. A 30 Long is 36 x 12 x 17, and a 30 breeder is 36 x 18 x 12. Out of those, the 30 breeder would be best. If you can, a 40 breeder would be great. He would probably be ok till april, but like I said, start with the larger one instead of upgrading. It will be cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom