20g High Nano cycling with live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
many reasons why i dont agree with that. just my opinion

You cant even track if you are cycling right now...

When you throw fish in there, guess what is going to happen. The fish are going to cycle your tank . :)

ok so your saying my tank isnt cycled, guess ive wasted all this time. im plain confused, ive spent all this time documenting nothing?? it would have been useful for someone to mention this, ive been posting daily!

ok so your saying my tank isnt cycled, guess ive wasted all this time. im plain confused, ive spent all this time documenting nothing?? it would have been useful for someone to mention this, ive been posting daily!

I am sorry I had to burst your bubble...

buddha_red...

Don't worry... your tank is cycled. 919 is just someone here trying to cause problems. You tracked the numbers and proved it to yourself. You don't need large levels of ammonia to properly cycle a tank. Some folks are just too close minded to accept that things other than fish can properly cycle a tank.

Just add one fish at a time and give your tank a month or so between fish to adjust to the new bioload. And keep asking questions.

buddha_red...

Just add one fish at a time and give your tank a month or so between fish to adjust to the new bioload. And keep asking questions.

A month or so... Way wait so long, it's because you are having a mini cycle everytime you add a fish.

You could have accomplished the same thing by adding one fish at a time in the begining...

buddha_red -

I hope you enjoyed looking at an empty tank for the last month, because that is all you were doing...

Y'know... I stuck up for you when some mods wanted to wipe your "cycling with fish" thread out of here. And that's because there's always more than one way to do things. But your attitude is starting to really make me wish I'd just kept my mouth shut and let them delete your post.

There's always going to be disagreement about the best way to do things, but to purposefully knock the wind out of a person just starting out... just because you refuse to understand that a tank can be humanely cycled without fish, and then not see another measurable cycle again... is just plain mean, and wrong. It's OK if you want to remain stubborn and ignorant of other methods, but please don't derail folks here that are trying more modern methods of cycling their tank.

buddha red... most folks here giving advice have followed the same route you're going, and had success. Don't stress... you're going down the right path. Personally, I cycled my main tank fishless, and have NEVER had any measurable ammonia or nitrites over the 9 months I took stocking it - and none since then. (Taking your time allows for your bacteria to catch up to your bioload - which you need to do regardless of how you cycle it, and it also allows your fish to get used to their new environment without having to deal with competition with a bunch of new tank mates all at once.)

Last edited:
WE are close-minded? And you're being a shining example of open-mindedness regarding using fish food or cocktail shrimp to cycle a tank??

Just because in the past you haven't had success cycling a tank fishless doesn't mean it's impossible. Denying the success of hundreds of folks on this forum, let alone thousands of people within the hobby, is the definition of "close minded" in my book.

Sorry for the offtopic drift buddha_red... I have no issue if people want to discuss cycling with fish, but to say that it's the ONLY way to cycle a tank and make you think you're doing something wrong if you don't do it, well... I just can't sit on my hands anymore.

WE are close-minded? And you're being a shining example of open-mindedness regarding using fish food or cocktail shrimp to cycle a tank??

Just because in the past you haven't had success cycling a tank fishless doesn't mean it's impossible. Denying the success of hundreds of folks on this forum, let alone thousands of people within the hobby, is the definition of "close minded" in my book.

Sorry for the offtopic drift buddha_red... I have no issue if people want to discuss cycling with fish, but to say that it's the ONLY way to cycle a tank and make you think you're doing something wrong if you don't do it, well... I just can't sit on my hands anymore.

Calm down chief...

Just because everyone else is doing it, does not make it right.

The reason you dont hear about peope objecting to the fishless cycle here, is that they are so nervous that they will be jumped on like a hertic. Also like our buddy buddha_red, who wants to admit that they have been looking at any empty tank for a month waiting for the magic to happen.

Fishless cycling is just the latest fad in the aquarium communities... Everyone remember undergravel filters... :)

Hey Shane,

Don't worry about this, I'm doing the same thing that you're doing remember? So far it's fine, the diatoms are growing on mine because of too much lighting hours that I put on, so now I'm reducing to 6-7hours per day. So, get yourself the CUC and maybe after a day or two of stability, you can start adding a fish, a hardy one would be better to begin.

Melosu, I'll post the diatoms today after I do the readings. thank you so much for your help.

I'm still stoked, i can move forward. I can go ahead and locate my CUC. I am going to order the snails but buy fish local.. i have fun shopping!. I don't like the idea of buying unseen fish, so i will wait on the pair of clowns. I'm gonna do a 5g WC and already have aged SW on hand to do it.

Got my ro/di in from ebay. h20science is where i bought it from it is a 75 gpd.. It's not the fastest filter in the world but gets the job done. verified 0 tds

I just get really passionate about cycling tanks with fish, and it feels like everyone is so close minded here.

Tone it down 919. Your being passionate does not allow you to call people close minded and making fun of others tanks. You stated your opinion now leave it at that. I`m sorry to the OP that the thread got out of hand. Thanks Bawel. Yes a pic would be nice.

Hey Shane,

I hope you don't mind me posting my result here for just this once :)

Readings for today 12/13/08

PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
SG: 1.022
Temp: 80F

Here the pic of my tanks, now the diatoms are less as I changed the lighting hours to 6hours from 10hours per day, now I saw a lot of poopoo from my crabs or snails around :p
img_932000_0_fc1044404331fe3ecc77751d81ff1a9f.jpg

img_932000_1_884eab07c32106a6771b80279af20e16.jpg

also here is my astrea star snail and a hermit crab eating algae from the rocks :)
img_932000_2_8d9d8b5b6bf14502acaed1aadde16324.jpg

Back
Top Bottom