210 Aggressive FOWLR Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leviticus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m in the process of setting up a 210 Aggressive FOWLR. I would like to know if the fish I’ve listed would be too much of a Bio-load for my system, compatible with each other, and which order they should be introduced into the tank.

Volitan Lionfish
Picasso Triggerfish
Yellowstripe Maroon Clownfish
Snowflake Eel
Haller’s Stingray
Porcupine Puffer
Clown Triggerfish

Aquarium - 210 Aqueon with Megaflows 72 x 24 x 28
Dry Rock – 175 BRS Reef Saver Rock
Sand – 200 lbs Original Grade Ocean Direct
Powerhead – x2 Hydor Koralia Magnum 3250
Lighting – x2 Marineland 32949 T5 HO 48”
Sump - Aqueon Proflex Model 4
Skimmer - Reef Octopus Diablo DCS 200 INT
Return Pump – Eheim Compact 5000
Reef Keeper Elite System
RO/DI System

I would think not. 7 fish in a 210 gallon, I don't think you would have a problem with bio-load. As for compatibility, I think Triggerfish like to nip at lionfish. I could be wrong, but I think it really depends on the order of which you put them in.

The triggers most likely will take the spines off the lions and kill it . The clown trigger once fully grown will probably go awol and kill all other fish . They are super aggressive .

I want to go aggressive as well. I want to get a Picasso Triggerfish, I am getting a 110 gal. I have a cinnamon clown that has a carpet anemone friend and a sailfin tang that I was hoping I could put with it. That 210 sounds goorgeous!

I always thought triggers and lions didn't mix for the same reasons. Throw in a large angel instead? Also I didn't think you could do stingrays because they prefer cooler water, not sure if that's true?

Well no triggers and puffers with rays either .they are known to eat ray eyeballs . Large and dwarf angels are also known to bite the spines off lions . Puffers and lions are a hit and miss as well. But I will say I did have a dwarf lion with my porc and emperor angel until the lion up and died for no reason but they were not full grown so who knows if they were how it would have worked . Are you set on a clown trigger and Picasso? Clown trigger in my books just about one of the most aggressive fish you can have and the Picasso isn't that much nicer.

If you really want triggers, maybe set it up as a Trigger only tank? I think 7 different types of triggers would look cool, if they can all get along with on another?

They almost all like to rearrange the rock work, so make sure you give them some rocks to push around, and if you stack rock make sure they are glued so they can't move them. They will need some stuff to move around thou.

It doesn't appear my setup will be the best environment for the stingray, so I will have to take it off my list. I'm set on the Picasso Triggerfish but I would consider not getting the Clown Triggerfish if it's impossible to work with.

I used stacking alone for all the rock and then epoxied it altogether with two little fishes aquastik. My wife was not impressed with my aquascaping skill level.

Are you saying the Triggerfish need extra rock to push around?

Attachments

• I.jpg
    I.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 245
  • II.jpg
    II.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 326
This is from liveAquraria.com
The Humu Picasso Triggerfish,

A 180 gallon or larger aquarium with rocks and caves provides a good habitat. It will rearrange the landscaping and rocks as it wanders in and out of the caves. It vocalizes using a "grunting" sound. The Humu Picasso Triggerfish makes a great conversation piece.

It says that for all trigger fish mostly. I don't think that it would be a real requirement for them, but maybe it would be good for them? Being your rock is not live rock you should get a few pounds of live rock and seed it into the existing rock you have, that will provide any rock if they want to push it around, and it will help seed your rock with good bacteria faster than normally would if it was just on it's own. You wouldn't need too much. I would buy small rock and just throw it around on the tank anywhere near the rock you already have. Buy the rock after you got the tank fully going and in the cycle process. The live rock needs to be fully submerged with movement.

I like your rock work! :p I think once it's filled up and has fish swimming about, it will look even better!! The Clown Trigger looks really cool, I can see why you want him, like I said I don't know if you really want nothing but triggers, but a tank that is full of just triggers might be ok. So long as you don't over stock it, I think 7 triggers might not give them enough space in a 210. Plus liveaquria list the tank requirement for a Clown Trigger at 300 Gallons.

stingray's need round tanks and triggers will eat the eyes for sure if you do go with stingray's stay away from the blue dot tough species good luck

tank seems a little small and crowded for a sohal the are pretty aggressive and need suppliments so they like kids can get expensive lol good luck (gorgeous fish though)

If you are crossing off the lion fish and Ray, i think a Sohal could work. Ideally the tank would be a little larger, so its not ideal. Being with the aggressives would be fine.

Added a Mappa Puffer today. I let him drip acclimate for 3 hours and within a few minutes of being placed in the display tank he went on a hunt. He bit at a turbo snail and instantly puffed up half way. After he puffed up I snapped a couple photos with my phone because he also changed colors temporally.

Attachments

• 20130521_172911.jpg
    20130521_172911.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 20130521_173128.jpg
    20130521_173128.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 20130521_185625.jpg
    20130521_185625.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 199
I added water to the aquarium a couple weeks ago. It completed the cycle a few days ago. I've been researching and working on it for the past four months.

Added a Mappa Puffer today. I let him drip acclimate for 3 hours and within a few minutes of being placed in the display tank he went on a hunt. He bit at a turbo snail and instantly puffed up half way. After he puffed up I snapped a couple photos with my phone because he also changed colors temporally.

They have people lips ahhh

Picasso trigger is a sweet fish too, hope everything works out. Keep us updated, ill be followjg

Agreed with some of what others have said. don't mix most triggers with lions. no ray in this tank.
some triggers tend not to nip at lion fins (blue throat, niger, pink tail)

A foxface (or multiple) would be a good choice for your tank as well. peaceful, but won't be messed with.

Back
Top Bottom