29 gallong tank, Dwarf Lion Fish! (FOWLR, Build Thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the tank!!!! I would only mess with the rocks a little more, making it less dense. All in all, looks like a heck of a set up for a 29 gallon tank, really like the power strip! For your stocking line up....I think you should definitely get a hawk!!!!! They are very entertaining and extremely personable! If you get a hawk though, it means no inverts. No inverts means no clean up crew. With that said, the bottom dweller comes into play. Something that sifts the sand well. I loved my Pink Spotted Goby, but he rarely sifted. I would go with a Sleeper Goby(beautiful blue and yellow markings on their heads!!) or some sort of Jawfish. Jawfish seem to be the best of the best at sifting!!!! I'd look into them. There are so many choices!!!!! LOL

I will look into the Jaw fish. I will see about opening up the rock a little more. I have hermit craps already. Not my Idea really, I was just in the groove of buying and "The Reef" threw them in. I guess they will end up breakfest for tr Hawk. Being I am getting two active swimmers I think a hawk is perfect and a Jaw is good for the bottom.

So I did my first cleaning today, and it sucked. :nono:

I am hoping this is just because it had sand in everything. I don't really plan on cleaning it like I did from now on. I had to take everything apart and clean out all the sand and junk. Next time should just be easy as pumping out the water and putting new water in.

My only question is, is it normal for a lot of salt build up everywhere? It's like a film of salt. It was a solid coat on my light and everything else. I am sure that is normal right?

Also I rearranged the rocks, and all craps accounted for. I removed one dead shrimp from the tank I threw in for cycle. It was really broken down, so I think the Bactria is doing it's thing. Nearly threw up when I picked it up. The other is under the big rock and I don't know if I will need to remove it. The other was broken down a lot.

The rocks are more toward the front of my tank with more swim room in the back. I figure this is good as it will give the fish more of a place to hide and be less stressed.

I will test the water once I get back on Monday from school. :thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 113
just make sure every square inch has some sort of cover because they are jumpers and crafty ones at that

Yeah, I was reading that about them. I don't think at this time I can do that. I need to get a sump tank so I can put my skimmer down there, I just can't get a lid that will fit with the skimmer being so large.

then stay farrrr away from jawfish my cousin lost two blue spotted to suicide at 100.00 dollars a fish and they were getting out in the tiny space for your heater so they are equally beautiful as they are clever lol

Hey guys, question. As everyone has told me my canister filter is fine for a little while, but not a good long term investment for a saltwater tank.

So how would I go about adding a sump to it, how big should it be? Would a ten gallon sump be ok? I had an idea, I could get the Fluval tubes that are already in the tank and just switch each side to pumps. One that pumps into the sump and the other that pumps back into the tank. Does that sound like a good idea?

Need to make some great hiding places caves for the fish don't stack rock to tight. Go slow cycle tank all the way fish will be happy and your wallet too. Be patient with this hobby cause you need time too good luck.

Thanks Solo. I have been taking my time, it's been months for me just waiting to get the tank up and running. My cycle is in its 2nd week so I hope it will be done soon. I know it could take a month or more.

I put the shrimp in the tank to cycle and I think it's going well. I have not tested at all yet, so I don't really know. I am going to test today when I get back from my weekend masters program. I went overboard in the live sand and live rock category in hopes to make a better environment for my fish. I even changed my line up (Again :) as to make sure things will be perfect. I was going to buy a cheap skimmer but chose to get the one that was better and highly rated. So I hope the way I start will help me finish and sustain!

Here is my old line ups.

1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Hawkfish
1 Dwarf Loinfish

Than I went ahead and dropped the Lionfish

1 Six line Wrasse
1 Hawkfish
1 Flame Angle

Well I want fish that will be able to live their full life in the tank without having to upgrade (Just in case I can't upgrade). So I changed it to this and this should be the finial list!

1 Six Line Wrasse
2 True percula Clownfish
1 Flame Hawkfish (I got hermit craps and the flame hawkfish shouldn't eat them, that's what the website says anyway, my hermits are not a big deal. :)

Hey guys, I need some help.

I put in two uncooked shrimp in my tank to begin the cycle, I pulled one out already. It was nasty to say the least.

I was reading that being I got so much live rock (50 pounds) that is already cured and 60 pounds of live sand that I didn't need to put a dead shrimp in? Should I take the last one out?

I am going to test my water when I get home, so I hope that things are good.

Hey guys, I need some help.

I put in two uncooked shrimp in my tank to begin the cycle, I pulled one out already. It was nasty to say the least.

I was reading that being I got so much live rock (50 pounds) that is already cured and 60 pounds of live sand that I didn't need to put a dead shrimp in? Should I take the last one out?

I am going to test my water when I get home, so I hope that things are good.

in my experience from what i have seen and heard the cured rock and the live sand should have done the trick you have to test it to find out.i think the shrimp might have been over kill.The shrimp creates a bacteria that is consumed by another bacteria and then ultimately get taken out with pwc nitrite is created by ammonia but if you have live everything the amonnia should not be necessary imo hope this helps good luck

Tested my water and took out the shrimp. I believe I tested everything right, I will do everything again in tomorrow.

Nitrite = 5.0
PH = 8.4
Nitrate = 0
Ammonia = 0.25

Test strips seem to confirm that I was right, I do both and compare.

baron1282 said:
Tested my water and took out the shrimp. I believe I tested everything right, I will do everything again in tomorrow.

Nitrite = 5.0
PH = 8.4
Nitrate = 0
Ammonia = 0.25

Test strips seem to confirm that I was right, I do both and compare.

Your live rock may have been fully cured but it doesn't seem to have the bacteria needed to convert ammonia to nitrate yet. You'll need to have zero ammonia and nitrite before you can be certain that your tank is safe for fish. 5ppm nitrite and 0 nitrate usually indicates that you have a couple of weeks to go before your tank will be ready for it's first fish. Glad to hear the hermit crabs are hanging on!

fine with me, going the slow way works. I want my fish to be healthy and safe. I no longer have the shrimp in, so I am going to just sit with the craps and rock. I am going to do another test tomorrow as I might have mixed up test tubes. I don't think I did, but we shall see. Do I want Nitrate?

fine with me, going the slow way works. I want my fish to be healthy and safe. I no longer have the shrimp in, so I am going to just sit with the craps and rock. I am going to do another test tomorrow as I might have mixed up test tubes. I don't think I did, but we shall see. Do I want Nitrate?

Yes. Nitrates are the final result of the nitrogen cycle. It goes ammo-nitrite-nitrate. When your tank is fully cycled, you'll probably have high nitrates. Then you do a large PWC to get them as close to zero as possible and then add a fish. :)

Tank Test 2

Ph = 8.4

Ammonia = 0.25

Nitrite = 5.0

Nitrate = 5.0

Back
Top Bottom