29 gallong tank, Dwarf Lion Fish! (FOWLR, Build Thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone, I am posting this in the correct area now. A few months back I had posted in the "Saltwater Reef Aquaria" section of this websites forums. I wanted to do a FOWLR tank from the start, but came to this website for advice and I posted before reading. I ended up wanting to do a reef aquarium, but as of right now I have decided that I am tried of waiting to save up three hundred more dollars for a light to support the reef. I figure I can start my tank now and get that later on down the road.

My plan was talked about for a few months, and I got the list of fish I am going to keep. I am going to keep a Six Line Wrasse, Flame Angel, Dwarf Fuzzy Lion, and a Spotted Hawkfish. In that stocking order with at least a week between. I was thinking of a Tuxedo Sea Urchin, but I don't know. I might just stick with the fish and that is it.

Here is some pictures of what I got so far. I believe I am 90% there and will be ordering the live rock in about two weeks. I am going to get one more bag of sand to get 60 pounds of live sand, and I am going for 50 pounds of uncured live rock. I am going to cure the rock while cycling. I hope to have the cycle done before or a little after Christmas (Fish for Gifts. (y))....

This is my build thread, and any advice would be extremely helpful!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2186[1].jpg
    IMG_2186[1].jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_6158[1].jpg
    IMG_6158[1].jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_7159[1].jpg
    IMG_7159[1].jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_9412[1].jpg
    IMG_9412[1].jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 275
A lot of wires. :p Kind of bums me out with all the wires. I am going to get a backing, and I think that will help a little. Am I missing anything for this set up??

Hey brother! so this will be your new thread you post on? Looks great! I have the exact reef octopus, you will love it! Have you ever thought about spray painting the back of your tank? Look into it. You will have to spray it now if you decide to do so. But I am glad you have been able to start sooner than you planned!

Yes, this is my build thread I will be posting on. I would do it in the Reef area, but I am not doing a reef anymore. :p

Hey guys, I will be getting more pics up around the first of next month. My official start date will be the first as I will be getting the live rock!! Tonight I am going to go get another bag of live sand to have 60 pounds of live sand. I am thinking sense I got all that live sand, I will get about 20 pounds of live rock and 30 bounds of base rock. That way I can seed the base rock into live rock. Save some money!! :p

Here is a question, what should I get to hall the water back from the store? I am going to get about 35 gallons of water from the store, so I don't have to mix it. I plan on just buying my water premixed, so I don't have to deal with it. I will have the salt and a mixing bucket just in case I need to do a emergency water change, but as far as water goes I just don't know if I should just get six 7 five gallon buckets or something else. Anyone have a good way of bringing that much water home? Thanks!

I was wondering, should I dumb the lion fish? They are cool, but with me getting a Wrasse and a flame, and hawkfish, I don't know if I really want to risk them getting eaten. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I don't know. I think the flame is really cool looking!! If you guys think I should dumb the lion fish, what would be a cool fish to replace it with that would be ok with the others and in a 29 gallon setting?

Jugs that you would take water in when you go camping, very clean gas jugs, and 5 gallon buckets work the best.

Jugs that you would take water in when you go camping, very clean gas jugs, and 5 gallon buckets work the best.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. My plan was to buy 8 five gallon buckets, going to need them anyway. :p

Yeah :p and I'd probably take out the lion fish. Especially if your planning on getting all those fish, he'll be to crowded so he'll fight for space probably killing some of your fish

I was thinking that, also I don't know if I can really keep up with the feeding. I want something that is easy to feed. I still want a Lion fish, but to be honest, I finally saw some live dwarf lions and they were not that impressive to me (I think I am more fascinated with the Bigger Lion). The Flame caught my eye more, and the six line wrasse really looks awesome!! I could live without the Lion Fish easily!! I still want four fish, so what could I replace it with?

Would a pair of

Yellowstripe Maroon Clownfish be cool you think? I would have no reef, so nothing for them to host! That would put five fish in the tank. they are aggressive, so I think they would be ok in the tank with all the aggressive fish.

I was thinking that, also I don't know if I can really keep up with the feeding. I want something that is easy to feed. I still want a Lion fish, but to be honest, I finally saw some live dwarf lions and they were not that impressive to me (I think I am more fascinated with the Bigger Lion). The Flame caught my eye more, and the six line wrasse really looks awesome!! I could live without the Lion Fish easily!! I still want four fish, so what could I replace it with?

Would a pair of

Yellowstripe Maroon Clownfish be cool you think? I would have no reef, so nothing for them to host! That would put five fish in the tank. they are aggressive, so I think they would be ok in the tank with all the aggressive fish.

In a 29 gallon, I would definitely say no to the maroon clownfish. They are super aggressive and will take over the tank.

In a tank that size you're looking at 4-5 small fish. (gobies, Ocellaris, things of that sort.)

If you really want the flame angel (live aquaria now reccomends 70 gallons) I would get that, the wrasse, and one small fish.

i was told today at a very reputable fish store that aslong as you buy the lionfish while it is small you may not have a problem with hime trying to eat some fish like the clowns he said he had one and when had the clown and the lionfish once the lion fish got older it let the clown swim through its fins like it was an anemone without even bothering the clown haha

i was told today at a very reputable fish store that aslong as you buy the lionfish while it is small you may not have a problem with hime trying to eat some fish like the clowns he said he had one and when had the clown and the lionfish once the lion fish got older it let the clown swim through its fins like it was an anemone without even bothering the clown haha

This can be true. Key words in your statement "may not". I have heard of it going both ways, so it depends how important those smaller fish will be to you.

Back
Top Bottom