33g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Freak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will be setting up a 33g FOWL (for now) tank pretty quick here. Im just wondering about lighting and stocking... Will just a regular florescent fixture "grow" anything like feather dusters and such? I am planning on dong a reef eventuallybut I am starting small and I can always upgrade. Also for stocking would this be ok?

Pair of either Clarkii or Perculas
A Coral Beauty
A Longnose Hawkfish
And One Other Fish...

Thanks Guys!

The regular flourescent lighting will be good for FOWL for a short time.. I think your fish list is pushing the inch limit on a 33 though. I would stick with the 2 clowns, the CB and LH until you get a bigger tank.

Feather dusters don't require light as much as they do plankton so your worrys there are small.

Cheers and happy fish keeping.

Oh BTW, in case you didn't know, in a 33g you won't want more than 10 inches of fish not including the tail.

List looks good but coral beauty's are an angel fish that may nip corals and feather dusters and kill them . The long nose hawk can /will eat shrimp that tends to be expensive after bit :) percs or clarkii will be fine .. THe light will also be fine for FOWLR but not for corals .Also please do not cycle with life stock this is stressful for them ...Use high quality LR and try to find play sand and seed the sand with sand from a friends tank or the LFS tank as the packaged LS is probably not still live sice there is no air or water circulation , what bacteria that is left is dormant and would need a boost anyways using an UNseasoned deli shrimp or 2 , this will break down and cause the cycle to begin .

Thanks for the replies guys! I have one more quick question tho lol... The 33g i have right now has play sand in it already so can I use this for SW or will I have to get the White Sand(blanking out on name? Aragonite maybe?) Also if It can be used what do you think looks better...
TIA!

Is the sand you are using now FW? If it is, I would suggest cleaning it good before using it in the SW setup. Aragonite is better and whiter than playsand. I would suggest the aragonite. I have used both and the playsand tended to give me more algae problems than aragonite.

The playsand tends to be silicate based and can help to fuel algae. The aragonite is more gentle on your sand sifters.

to test it take some out dry it off add vinegar if it fizzes it is agronite sand , if not you can get live sand (not really live) but it sinks easier than dry and wont seize up equipment impellars , if you can find the agornite play sand (Take vinegar with you to test ) rinse it well and it should be fine

Back
Top Bottom