55-gal startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrpope

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am about a week away from purchasing the equipment and starting my 55-gal FOWLR tank (with intentions of being reef eventually).

Do I have to use a sump/wet dry filter? Can I use a Magnum 350 w/ biowheel instead? I get mixed answers from LFS, and since I live in LA, there are literally 100's of LFS!

Some say that I can get by with the magnum w/ biowheel as long as I have sufficient amount of LR and to clean the media often to prevent build up of nitrates from decomposing organics.

Others say I absolutely have to have to have a wet/dry with a sump to keep the aquarium healthy. Im really confused and need help since I plan to buy equipment soon.
Oh, and I plan to use the AquaC remora skimmer w/ maxi-jet 1200 if I dont utilize a sump (other wise I will use the urchin for in sump)

Thanks, B.

A sump or wet/dry is not absolutely neccessary to have a successful tank. They just make the operation/maintenance much easier and help increase the overall water volume.

mrpope said:
Some say that I can get by with the magnum w/ biowheel as long as I have sufficient amount of LR and to clean the media often to prevent build up of nitrates from decomposing organics.
This statement is true of any filtration you use. The more LR the better and anything you use that may trap detrirus/foods will need to be cleaned on a regular basis to prevent build up.

With a decent amount of LR, it will be fine with either the canister or the wet/dry as long as you keep up with whatever maintenance is required. If it were a choice, I think your success would be better with a simple sump with base rock since you will be using a skimmer.

Cheers
Steve

Cool, thanks steve-s.

Now I just have 3 more questions then Im ready to roll (and quit buggin ya).

1. Should I use carbon in my filter or not?

2. I read a post a couple of days ago that I cant find, it said the brands of aragonite sand at home depot for $5, does any body recall them?

and, lastly

3. Right now I have 80W of light (one 10,000K actinic, and one 50/50), can live rock do its nitrification process with this amount. I am going to upgrade in the future since this little venture has proven to be a little pricey ( but worth it).

thanks all, I really appreciate the great information you all have given me so far.

it said the brands of aragonite sand at home depot for $5, does any body recall them
Southdown tropical Playsand, Old castle, Or Yardright from walmart

Should I use carbon in my filter or not?
Once or twice a month is always good

Right now I have 80W of light (one 10,000K actinic, and one 50/50), can live rock do its nitrification process with this amount.
Yes This will work while your tank goes thru the cycle.. Best thing is while your tank is cycling is to leave the lights off.. With a 55gal tank for lighting I would say either VHO, or MH lights.. I use 2x250w MH lights on my 55gal tank and like it alot.. However It depends on what you want down the road coral wise.. but you lite should suffice for a while.. This is one of the most important and expensive thing in a Reef Tank

Another thing you might want to think about since it will help out quite nicely is a protein skimmer.. It helps keeping the yucky stuff out of the tank.. This is not needed until you plan on going full Reef but does prove handy prior to but after the cycle..

HTH,
James

mrpope said:
3. Right now I have 80W of light (one 10,000K actinic, and one 50/50), can live rock do its nitrification process with this amount. I am going to upgrade in the future since this little venture has proven to be a little pricey ( but worth it).
Actually light has nothing to do with how well the rock will work with nitrification, it's the quanity and density of the rock. The lighting is for the coralline and other possible light dependant hitchikers you get, if any. 80w on a 55 gal might keep the coralline alive somewhat if lower light species such as green, red orange and such but the purple/pink will not do well.

At this point, you could easily get cheap base rock and add the LR later when you are ready to move forward with proper reef lighting.

FWIW, I run carbon (chemi-pure) 24/7

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom