55g FOWLR - What to feed for good Fish life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I have a 55g FOWLR, that has 40 lbs of LS, 40 lbs of Dry Sand, and 65lbs of LR.

I have an Eheim Professional II Canister Filter, PH, and a Coralife Super Skimmer.

The tank just finished cycling, and I will begin to add Inverts/Fish from my 30g tank.

Current Life: 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Fire Shrimp, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shirmp, 2 Chocolate Chip Starfish, 1 Camel Shirmp, 1 Sally Light Food Crap, 1 Scarlet Hermit Crab, 1 White Albino Hermit Crab (Not sure exactly its type/name)

Future Life Additions: 1 Copper Banded Butterfly, 1 Scooter Blenny, 1 Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, Various other Crabs, and possibly a couple more shrimp.

With those Occupants in mind, What should I be feeding the tank?

Right now with my current Occupants, I am feeding Frozen Brine Shirmp, Flakes, and Frozen Mysis Shrimp. Not all at the same time, but each feeding I alternate.

Once the flake food is gone, I will probably stop feeding Flake all together. I know there is alot of different type of food out there, I don't mind feeding a few different types, but I want to try to avoid complex feedings.

I typically feed 2x a day.

Thanks,

-TheChad

Why are you going to stop using the flake? I have a coral beauty and she loves the flake food. I feed them Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 on the morning and Ocean Nutrition Prime reef in th evening.

I tried the seaweed clip thing and my coral beauty never took to it. Frozen food never worked for me either....picky fish i guess

Stocking list is;
Coral beauty
Purple psuedochromis
Blue Damsel

I dunno, I just figured the Flake didn't really contain anything nutritional... My current Occupants all love the flake and the Frozen Brine Shirmp, None of them really take to the Mysis shrimp too much, a little pick here and there.. The Crabs end up eating it all out of the rocks..

All of them go nuts when I put flake or Brine in the tank..

-TheChad

The key to feeding is offering a variety of foods. Try dried, frozen, and homeade versions. I feed my fish quite a bit of flake. My tang gets Nori every other day. I occasionally use pellets. On the frozen menu is mysis shrimp and Ocean Nutrition's Formula's 1 & 2(on is more algae based).

When i feed using flake and nori (dried foods), i try to soak them in Selcon or Zoecon as much as possible. But i have to admit i shoudl do it more often.

So all in all, I feed my fish 6 different things. Some meaty and some more algae based.
And i feel like i should do more to be honest. Many people say to make a homeade mush of stuff you get from the seafood department at your local grocer. I haven't done this yet but i plan on trying it before too long. Basically, you just get a bunch of clams, fish, shrimp, etc and blend it all up and feed that to your fish.

I hope this helps. Also, try to use fresh foods. Throw away that bottle of food you bought 1-2 years ago and get a new one. HTH

Anybody know what I could feed a small rock beauty angel(2.5inches). He eats flake, but very skittishly.

Back
Top Bottom