55g Stock Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm upgrading my 32g Biocube reef to a 55g on Wednesday. I'll be moving my Zoa frags, emerald crab, snails, and GSP rock to the new tank.

Planned fish: I know for sure I'll get a smaller clown to be sure it's male. I plan on having a Purple Firefish, or something else purple.

Possibilities: I've been thinking about a Flame Angel, and a Watchman Goby if my LFS can get one in. I might get a Pistol Shrimp to go with the Goby, if I can keep it from burring my Zoas!

What else could be a good fit for a 55g Reef with the current and planned stock and gives me a rainbow of color? Note, all of the stock has to be captive bred unless there's literally no other option, though the Purple Firefish is the exception to the rule.

What is GSP rock?

Clownfish turn into females after a week on their own so even if you buy a young fish, it will turn into a female unless there is already a female there.

Fire gobies (Nemateleotris decora, N. magnifica, N. helfrichi) are social fish that do best in groups of 4 or more.

Pseudochromis fridmani (orchid dottyback) is usually captive bred, can be kept on their own or in prs, and are a stunning purple colour. They are also small growing to 2-3 inches.

Purple mandarin fish (Synchiropus splendidus) is a nice fish but they need an established tank with live rock and macro algae. Make sure they are feeding well before you buy them.

What is GSP rock?

Clownfish turn into females after a week on their own so even if you buy a young fish, it will turn into a female unless there is already a female there.

Fire gobies (Nemateleotris decora, N. magnifica, N. helfrichi) are social fish that do best in groups of 4 or more.

Pseudochromis fridmani (orchid dottyback) is usually captive bred, can be kept on their own or in prs, and are a stunning purple colour. They are also small growing to 2-3 inches.

Purple mandarin fish (Synchiropus splendidus) is a nice fish but they need an established tank with live rock and macro algae. Make sure they are feeding well before you buy them.

I already have a female clown. She's been on her own for a while, since she killed the one I got with her, and I thought the other one was going to be the female since it was slightly larger. I've thought about an Orchid Dottyback, love the color and the captive bred options, but I can't have anything meaner than the clowns, I prefer it to be more peaceful since I'm still fairly new to saltwater. The only Goby in the tank will be a captive bred Watchman Goby, the kind that form a symbiotic relationship with a Pistol Shrimp. No Mandarin fish, way to delicate! I'm not going to have something that's so picky I'll worry that it starves since it's so shy.

If you bought two anemonefish at the same time and one killed the other, you got two females. Find a tank with 10 or more juvenile fish in and buy the smallest one there. It should be a subordinate and neither male nor female. Then it should be ok with your female.

Orchid dottybacks aren't aggressive, unlike some of the other dottybacks. It's more likely the anemonefish will harass the dottyback if the tank is too small or there isn't sufficient hiding places for the dottyback.

What species of anemonefish do you have?
Amphiprion ocellaris and A. percula should be fine with orchid dottybacks. Some of the bigger species of anemonefish (A. clarkii, A. frenatus, Premnas biaculeatus) will take over a tank and kill anything small in it.

I've got a True Percula. The clowns were from the same batch at my LFS, and were pretty small. The tank that I just upgraded them to is a 55g, so plenty of space.

Back
Top Bottom