6. Line wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikestanked

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do all wrasse"s burrow? I just picked upp a 6 line and I put it in switched the lights off for like an hour, now I can't seem to find my new 6 line

He's likely hiding in the rockwork somewhere..... you'll be surprised at how small of a crevice they can fit into. It's normal.... mine hid for a day or two after coming out of QT, and still goes into the rock to go to sleep.

(y) Just leave him be.... he needs to acclimate himself to his new home.

Also, at night they secrete & encase themselves in a mucus membrane, so don't be surprised or alarmed if you see that.

Thanks! Wait...say wat now? Mucous membrane? I've only done minimal research and I have not heard that yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Do u think I should lightly rearrange my LR in a couple of days as to give him more options?

Thanks again. That's kinda stance to see but I can live with it. Does the membrane remain for a long time or does it disappear

They encase themselves for sleeping.... It's gone the following morning. I really don't know if it just dissipates, or if they re-consume it, I just know it's always gone.

Very cool!! I did not know they did that!

Trust me, I didn't either!! First time I saw it, it kinda freaked me out..... I knew some fish did it, but I didn't realize these guys did. Mine sleeps in the same crevice every night, so I can shine a flashlight in there at night to see it...... now sometimes he does it, and other times he doesn't.

They encase themselves for sleeping.... It's gone the following morning. I really don't know if it just dissipates, or if they re-consume it, I just know it's always gone.

It is an early warning system for intruder alerts. Parrot fish do it too. It just dissipates as it is just mucous.

Yeah, I still can not find my Six Line Wrasse at night. Every night he is gone, sleeping somewhere. I am not worried as I see him swimming happily during the day light hours. I knew of the Mucous thing before I bought mine, but it was freaky seeing it for the first time. I saw it when I was moving him to a different tank. I was setting up the tank and had him in a plastic tub covered with a blanket until I was done transferring everything over to the bigger tank. He was in cased in it, lol.

When I first got mine, I thought he had ICK, because of the sand that would stick too him, and the little white spot that is on their tails. I know better now, still freaked me out.

Yes Six Line Wrasse can Burrow, that's why I think I can't find mine, I don't think he sleeps in the rock work, but burrows himself under the rock and sand at night. Still a very cool fish to have and very active and pretty. When they get big they are really impressive looking. I saw a 7 year old one in a reef tank, and I can't wait for mine to get that big! I hope I can keep mine alive for that long!

I still can't find a answer to how long they live for. You know?

Oldest six-line I know of personally, from the local reef club, is almost 8 years old. He's probably about 3".... Absolutely beautiful fish.

Parrotfish do it to be undetected by sharks that sense muscle movement. Lined wrasses do not borrow.

Hi. If I may please. I have a new cycled tank and im looking for my first fish purchase ever. I have pods n bristle worms. I really like the look of the 6 line and the jobs they perform and thinking of it for my first fish. but I'm really hesitant because all I read about them being aggressive to there tank mates and I really want a peaceful tank n not have to worry about a bully in the tank. Can you all add some opinions on this? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom