65 Gallon Tank Stocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickkyBobby

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive been setting up this tank since July and finally got a couple fish in it!:)
Started with purple firefish goby over a month ago and last week added a small coral beauty and they are both getting along nicely.

The tank dimensions are 36x18x24.. So, its a deep tank and only 3 feet long..

I'm thinking of making it into a reef tank in the future so i want to get the right fish now that will work with a reef setup.. I know the coral beauty could be iffy but we will see..

I would like to get a foxface for the tank and he would be the showpiece fish but im not sure if the tank will be big enough for him.

One of my other fish will be a clown .. Not sure which type of clown yet

So thats 4 fish.. im looking for recommendations on my choices so far and on my future plans for the tank.. Let me know what you guys think!!

Ohh and how many fish in this tank? Ive read on the forums that around 6 would be a good number depending on the size of the fish

20 gallon sump W/Refugium Chaeto LR
2 koralia 1050 PH
1 XS160 Octopus protein skimmer
750 GPH Overflow
Mag 9.5 Return Pump

Yeah all depends on the size of the fish general rule is one inch of adult fish for very 5 gallons of tank space. You should be ok with those fish however be warned coral beauty's may nip at your corps which shouldn't be a major issue if you have plenty of Carl's which can share out the nipping but one or two may struggle if constantly being nipped at. However this I only a mayb I know a lot of people who have been fin with beauty's in reefs. I would maybe look at a schooling fish? Something like cardinals would be pretty cool and make the show fish stand out more.

The inch per 5 g rule isn't very accurate. A 3" Firefish and a 3" clown won't produce the same amount of waste and the Firefish needs far less swimming space. If you get some nano fish, like the Firefish, and you keep up on your weekly PWCs and levels are good, you could probably do 8-9 fish. But if majority end up being good sized fish (like foxface and angel size), then 6-7 would be it IMO.

ok ty woody and beengirl thank you for the input .. Im not really feeling the cardinal fish.. Not sure why, maybe they will grow on me .. we will see..

so, what are your thoughts on a foxface in a 65 gallon tank..

From what ive read a 65 might be the minimum size tank i could put him in..

Im looking at the one spotted foxface.. You think he would do ok in this tank?

Im basically looking for something similar to the looks of a tang.. I know i cant have a tang or trigger in this size tank and i would never put 1 in there.. So im looking for other options

Foxface is the only thing i have seen that possibly may work in my tank.. Maybe you guys know of more

I would say it would be ok personally but do not have much experience sorry

The minimum recommended tank size for a fox face is a 70, so it's pretty close. However, your tank being only three feet, I personally wouldn't do it. Fox faces are another one that you have to use caution with around coral too.

that's what i was afraid of psych.. 70 gal minimum.. ohh well.. ill keep looking for something else.

On Craigslist today , actually 5 min ago, there is someone selling 2 snowflake clown fish for $60.. Sounds like a good deal to me.. Ive seen these fish go for at least a 100 or more a piece..

Im a little apprehensive on buying fish on CL and i dont want to add to many fish to my tank at one time but this seems to be a good price..

Ive heard these are a peaceful fish.. is that true?

Heres the link.. Should i get em?

Saltwater Snowflake Clownfish Pair - $60

they dont sell the Snowflake clown fish there,, But i guess its just a type of Ocellaris clownfish from what i have found out.. And Ocellaris are suppose to be a peaceful fish.. i just didnt know if the snowflake was exactly the same temperament

yes they are expensive.. My LFS sells them for 125 a piece or maybe even a little higher..

Damm, they do sell them on Live aquarium, i just found them .. They are in the divers den section..

I cant believe how much.. $449 For a pair of them.. Thats ridiculous...

Maybe i should pick up these 2 on CL for $60 lol

Here is the link from Live aquaria

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=174093

yes they are expensive.. My LFS sells them for 125 a piece or maybe even a little higher..

Damm, they do sell them on Live aquarium, i just found them .. They are in the divers den section..

I cant believe how much.. $449 For a pair of them.. Thats ridiculous...

Maybe i should pick up these 2 on CL for $60 lol

Here is the link from Live aquaria

Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den® - Amphiprion ocellaris

those are "premium" or show quality, hence the price. but yeah they're at least worth checking out on CL. check for signs of good health, swimming normally, clear eyes, etc.

i sent him an email already and he already responded to me .. he bought both of them back in may for 120 for both of them from the same lfs i go to..
I will make sure the are healthy before i buy them.. Thanks Psycho

Maybe i can help, i have a 65 gallon reef tank of roughly the same dimensions and i love my stock!

Onespot Foxface
Engineer Goby (10")
Marine Betta
B&W Clown
Occy Clown
Flame Hawkfish
Flame Wrasse
Arrow Crab

That's cool gboy. How's the fox face doing in the tank? How long have you had him. I know are tanks are on the edge of being large enough for him

RickkyBobby said:
That's cool gboy. How's the fox face doing in the tank? How long have you had him. I know are tanks are on the edge of being large enough for him

Exactly, the size was the conflict. However, i have found him to not be a huge swimmer sideways, but all around the tank in general! Added him 3+ months ago about. He's a great addition for sure.

RickkyBobby said:
But will he eventually out grow the tank?

Possibly. If i ever see signs of him being too big i'll move him out...but i kinda doubt it

well i didn't end up getting the clown fish and i glad i didn't.. My purple firefish died over the Christmas holiday.. I saw he looked a little stressed and was going to transfer him to QT when i got back but it was too late..

My coral beauty was curios at first when i put in the firefish a few weeks ago but i though they were getting along.. Then i started to watch them when the lights went out and the coral beauty wouldn't let the firefish into some of the areas in the live rock and must have stressed him out to much.. It seemed like it got worse as time passed rather than better..The weird thing though was the firefish would eat everday and looked really good until the last day he was alive..

Anyway..what should i do about the coral beauty.. i know i shouldn't have added it this soon if i wanted peaceful fish in the tank also...Could i take him out for awhile?
Maybe just put all semi aggressive fish in there? Problem is, i wanted a larger variety of fish to choose from and being a 65 gallon really narrows down my choices unless maybe i put the peaceful ones in first or move live rock around?

The coral beauty is doing great in the tank but just hope he not gonna be a nuisance to the other fish.. let me know what you think

well i didn't end up getting the clown fish and i glad i didn't.. My purple firefish died over the Christmas holiday.. I saw he looked a little stressed and was going to transfer him to QT when i got back but it was too late..

My coral beauty was curios at first when i put in the firefish a few weeks ago but i though they were getting along.. Then i started to watch them when the lights went out and the coral beauty wouldn't let the firefish into some of the areas in the live rock and must have stressed him out to much.. It seemed like it got worse as time passed rather than better..The weird thing though was the firefish would eat everday and looked really good until the last day he was alive..

Anyway..what should i do about the coral beauty.. i know i shouldn't have added it this soon if i wanted peaceful fish in the tank also...Could i take him out for awhile?
Maybe just put all semi aggressive fish in there? Problem is, i wanted a larger variety of fish to choose from and being a 65 gallon really narrows down my choices unless maybe i put the peaceful ones in first or move live rock around?

The coral beauty is doing great in the tank but just hope he not gonna be a nuisance to the other fish.. let me know what you think

firefish are very very passive. I would give the clowns a try, rearrange some rocks, and if there is aggression after the first day take the coral beauty out.

Back
Top Bottom