75 gallon ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can I run my 75 as a FOWLR for a while without a protein skimmer? If so how long? I will have a small clown, a royal gramma, blue/green chromis, and a small goby in the tank. I will also have a 30 gallon sump. The tank will be going reef in the near future.

Can I run my 75 as a FOWLR for a while without a protein skimmer? If so how long? I will have a small clown, a royal gramma, blue/green chromis, and a small goby in the tank. I will also have a 30 gallon sump. The tank will be going reef in the near future.

Quick answer: forever. As long as you monitor your water quality and do water changes as necessary a skimmer is not required.

A skimmer will remove organic material, which will reduce the need for water changes and help keep water quality stable, which will be more important when you switch to reef set-up.

My advice, I wouldn't be too worried about it while in FOWLR mode, but I would probably install one before I put any coral or other sensitive reef creatures in the tank. It can takes a few days for a skimmer to start working properly, so be prepared for a "break in" period.

Quick answer: forever. As long as you monitor your water quality and do water changes as necessary a skimmer is not required.

A skimmer will remove organic material, which will reduce the need for water changes and help keep water quality stable, which will be more important when you switch to reef set-up.

My advice, I wouldn't be too worried about it while in FOWLR mode, but I would probably install one before I put any coral or other sensitive reef creatures in the tank. It can takes a few days for a skimmer to start working properly, so be prepared for a "break in" period.

By break in period, he means a friggin bubble storm coming from that thing for a few days lol.

I agree. I know several folks that dont even run skimmers. But they work religiously on their PWC`s and tank maint.

Back
Top Bottom