75 gallon FO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike-portocarrero

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am running a 75 gallon hex FO saltwater tank with a fluval FX5 I got live sand and three damsels cycling the tank does anyone knows if the tank would do good with the FX5? I don't have a uv lamp or skimmer any suggestions on what to do? Reason why I don't have a uv lamp is cuz I was told the FX5 is too strong for it maybe I could put a submarine one but can't hang a skimmer cuz
Of the tank canope thanks for any suggestions

You shouldnt cycle with fish. LR will do it just as well. IDK alot about the FX5, but I think it would be adequate. You by no means need a UV sterilizers, refugiums and skimmers are much more important. GL!!!!!

A fluval fx5 is more than adequate for a 75G tank it is rated for a 400G i run one on my 125 and it is a beauty, and cycling with fish is fine and IMO helps cycle the tank even faster just don't buy anything expensive just some clowns or damsels. You don't NEED a uv sterilizer its just a good thing to have. If you are doing a fish only i wouldn't focus on getting a refugium or skimmer but if you get a lot of meat eaters a skimmer is a good option to better water quality. What type of tank are you planning on doing??

Bothers thanks for the answer I am doing a FO tank it's already running for its second week with 3 damsels in it I got no uv light or skimmer just the FX 5, live sand and live rock what u think? People keep telling me i must get the uv and skimmer and a sump can't do a sumo the tank stank is small in the bottom what u think? Thanks

I would take the media out of the fx5 and use it more for circulation, it will turn into a nitrate factory pretty quick. The rock will do the filtering for you.
You should've used a raw uncooked shrimp instead of the damsels. Or even better, pure ammonia. Does just as good of a job and doesn't harm any animals.

Thanks for replying so take out the media of the FX5 an leave it runing on what? Just sponges and the ceramic noodles media?

I run a canister on my 55g and all I have in it is biomedia rings and filter floss. If the need arises you can place carbon and GFO for phosphates in it too. The only problem with a cnaister is it has to be maintained frequently or it will just accumulate waste and nitrates will soon follow. I run a fx5 on my fw 125g and its more than sufficient. :)

As far as the skimmer and UV, I would consider a skimmer but not the UV. The skimmer can take out excess organics from the water if you need it. Being as your fish only the skimmer you could probably add at a later date. But it will have to be a hangon type since you don't have a sump, which will cut your selection down a bit. A sump would be ideal if you can swing it, if not you should be fine as you are.

Back
Top Bottom