90g adopted tank re-stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I have adopted a 90g tank! It came with fish too, although I would like to redo the setup and start a new setup in the tank. Currently I have a beautiful yellow tang, a big raccoon-faced butterfly with great personality, a six-line wrasse, and some kind of damsel. (If you live in Chicago-area and are interested in any of these fish, PM me).

So, starting fresh, or more or less fresh, as I may keep the Raccoon, since he's hysterical and will eat out of your hand, I am looking at some options.

Questions:

1) Can I keep an anemone (tank is mature, was established for 6 months prior to move, kept all the water) with the raccoon-face?

2) Would it be possible to keep a rectangle trigger (Humuhumu) in a 90g, or do they need a 6 footer?

3) Would a puffer eat an anemone?

Thanks!

What sort of puffer are you thinking of getting? The humma humma might outgrow the tank tbh and would more than likely be a problem for an anemone the rabbit fish should be ok with it though

Thank you for the reply!

I did tons of trigger fish research over the last couple of day. I love humahumas, and have since I was a kid, so it's natural that I would want one! After plenty of research, I came to the same conclusion - they need at least 6 footers ultimately. Their intelligence, personality, and quirks make me want one all the more, but it will have to wait until I upgrade to a proper "large" tank!

So - back to the drawing board (good thing too - because my first idea apparently would have been one large buffet for a trigger that wants a bigger home!).

A small puffer (was thinking maybe a blue-spotted or a Bennet's?) would definitely be fun - as long as I could still keep an anemone. If I'm doing FOWLR, then I'd like an anemone (eventually, I know they need mature tanks).

Assuming puffers and anemone's can coexist peacefully:
- Blue Spotted Puffer
- Bubble Tip Anemone
- Pair of tank-bred Clowns
- Raccoon-faced Butterfly
- Potentially some type of Dwarf Angel? (Flame, Coral Beauty, Red Stripe).

Although - since my real goal in a FOWLR tank was to have a trigger, and now that I am beginning to understand 90g really isn't a large tank, rather a moderate-sized tank - I am thinking of redoing the plan entirely to focus on smaller fish, allowing the puffers and so on to live in larger, more appropriate tanks.

With the small fish idea in mind - what would be a nice schooling fish that I could keep in a 90g (likely with an anemone and a pair of clowns)?

Additionally - umm, will anemones eat inverts, like a sea hare? I'm fascinated with these creatures, and would love to have one!

Thanks again!

Have you thought about blue green chromis? I think they're a really pretty schooling fish.

Hmm - chromis had come to mind, although I haven't done any research into them (eg. seriously considered them). Thank you for the suggestion though, I will look into them tomorrow. How large a "school" could I get for the tank do you think?

Hmm - chromis had come to mind, although I haven't done any research into them (eg. seriously considered them). Thank you for the suggestion though, I will look into them tomorrow. How large a "school" could I get for the tank do you think?

You're welcome. I think they're beautiful. I would get at least 3. Your tank is actually larger than what is required for them, so I think their mts is 30 gallons? They are very peaceful and may get eaten by something like a trigger fish. So keep that in mind. :) good luck!

From a bias point of view I like valentini puffers as they look similar to huma humas and like youself love the huma humasbut maybe get a pair of foxfaces as I hear they are happier in a pair?

Never heard of a foxface being in a pair is better. I'm sure they'd fight. Best to just keep one. A foxface is a good suggestion though. They are very docile, but can protect themselves. Since they are herbivores, you'd want to provide nori every few days. They might eventually eat meaty foods.

Just say that because in the wild they form mated pairs for life so would assume this is how they like to live

Great suggestions, thank you! I like the chromis idea as a schooling fish, likely will pick up 3 - 5 of them. Will a valentini puffer attack these small fish? Having looked them up, they look adorable! Also, will a foxface fight with my raccoon faced butterfly (assuming he makes it to the end setup)? So eager to get this all started!

Valentinis won't attack fish they may go for inverts though but that's the same with the raccoon face. Personally I've had one a couple of months with shrimps and fish and despite my peppermint shrimp constantly stealing his food he's not attacked anything bar my aiptasia. Very good fish has nice personality and feeds from my hand. The other fish are both peaceful so should be fine but obviously every fish has diff personality

Think about trying a Barnett buffer, I have one and his eyes are so blue, he's pretty peaceful as sell

Ah looks pretty cool I love puffers there such interesting fish. I went for valentini as it was one of the fish that made me want a saltwater tank so was set on one from the start

I have a blue spot puffer he's great very social and so far have eaten my anemone (think that's spelled right) I also have a rabbit fish and him and my blue spots are buddies

Back
Top Bottom