a little surprise on my new rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I am seeing the thing you are talking about, it looks like a mantis shrimp. Are you talking the critter in the middle hole? Assuming that is the front of him.

thats the one. its kind of hard to get a pic becasue he flys around. are these things ok?

aggressive and carnivourous. they will eat about anything

Definitley a mantis shrimp. Check out this site on some various trap methods.

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/pest/catch.htm

Be careful, please. Mantis are awesome, but dangerous. They *can* cut you very badly, take a finger off, etc. No kidding. If you have some heavy duty gloves, that might help just to provide a little extra protection.

If you want to keep it, I'd go with a smaller acrylic tank, since it is stronger than glass. If not, the LFS should buy it back or give you credit for it. They are in high demand by some of the more adventurous hobbyists. Haha.

great thanks. hes about an inch long and i did some reading, seems like I dont want to mess with him to much in risk of a finger lol. Ill try and get him back to the lfs before anything goes in the tank. and that explains the loud clicking I hear when hes on the rock 8O

the popping that you hear could be a pistol shrimp...they make loud popping noises at night

Back
Top Bottom