A 'small' tang suggestion..what about a puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am not getting any fish now..but I may some day trade in the fish I have if they get too big. I am also going to return my 'starter fish' (bad idea..poor fish)

What is a good colored, smaller tang? (love blue powder but big right?)

What about a puffer in a tank? (I love how they look like E.T!)

as of now I will have for sure....
niger trigger (but he is being returned if he eats anything!)
majestic angelfish
maroon clown

Small tangs I can think of would be a yellow tang, a convict, a mimic, a bristletooth or a kole yellow eye tang. Everything else is gonna get to big. If you are gonna do a reef tank, I'd skip the puffers. By "ET" looking I assume you mean the porcupine puffer. Problem with him is, he will probably outgrow the tank. Most puffers will get to big for your tank. There are the small sharpnose puffers but they tend to get really nippy and if you are considering a reef eventually, none are a good choice. They will also greatly reduce your options for cleanup critters.

Yes, I think it was a porcupine puffer. It was so adorable in the LFS and it looked like a puppy wanting to be pet. (ouch!) And I swear it was smiling!

I did want to do a reef tank, but since I now have an angel and a trigger, neither of those are reef compatible for now.

:)

courtneyclv said:
Yes, I think it was a porcupine puffer. It was so adorable in the LFS and it looked like a puppy wanting to be pet. (ouch!) And I swear it was smiling!

I did want to do a reef tank, but since I now have an angel and a trigger, neither of those are reef compatible for now.

This is exactly why I bought mine. My wife fell in love with him and she named him Edmond. He was my first fish in the tank. I added a large tang and 6 large clowns. Edmond attacked and killed 2 of them. I have a 250 fowlr and figured it was big enough for fish to hide out. Guess not.

Do you think I can put one puffer, by himself, in a 60 gallon? I have a FW that I would love to turn into a SW and just put one cute puffer. What do you think?

Its a vertical long tank.

I would pass on the puffer if you don't have the tank space. Have you looked into the fw puffers? They are super cute too.

FW puffers? Didnt know there was such a thing. So I guess they dont get as big? Ill check them out on liveaquaria and see if they have them.

There are F/W puffers. Most stay small, are aggressive and do better in species only tanks. Some of them are very attractive little fish. Alot of puffers that are sold for fresh are actually Brackish fish so research if you look into it and ask some questions in the freshwater forums. Some species need a special water conditions but nothing you can not achieve.

Ok, forget what I have in my tank. Long story..but everyone died. Now all I have is a firefish! I am restocking in about a month.

I am thinking...

tang (blue powder or suggestions?)
butterflyfish (threadfin)
maybe a reef safe angelfish (dwarf maybe?)
Can I have a yellow tang and another?

What do you think? Would those be good if I decide to do corals?

No such thing IME as a reef safe angel fish. Powder blue`s have a reputation as an ick magnet. If this is for the 80 gallon in your info section then yes a yellow would be OK maybe with a yellow eye Kole tang

Back
Top Bottom