About to cycle a new tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wreck_it_Pabs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Getting ready to cycle my tank this weekend and wondering what additives do I need to put in the water?

Just an ammonia source. Many use a raw cocktail shrimp. Just toss it in and wait for the cycle to start. I'd put it in a mesh bag if you have access to one. If you plan on removing it early and not letting it decompose completely, it will fall apart all over the place when you go to pick it up.
Do you have live rock in the tank? Is that cycled yet? This may be enough of an ammonia source if not.

+1 on the bag I ignored as thought couldn't be that bad but regretted it lol

Just an ammonia source. Many use a raw cocktail shrimp. Just toss it in and wait for the cycle to start. I'd put it in a mesh bag if you have access to one. If you plan on removing it early and not letting it decompose completely, it will fall apart all over the place when you go to pick it up. Do you have live rock in the tank? Is that cycled yet? This may be enough of an ammonia source if not.

I'am buying the live rock this weekend and I'am going to throw it all in the tank one time with water and salt.. So basically I'am trying to build up ammonia?

Just an ammonia source. Many use a raw cocktail shrimp. Just toss it in and wait for the cycle to start. I'd put it in a mesh bag if you have access to one. If you plan on removing it early and not letting it decompose completely, it will fall apart all over the place when you go to pick it up. Do you have live rock in the tank? Is that cycled yet? This may be enough of an ammonia source if not.

I'am buying the live rock this weekend and mixing water and salt all at once..So basically I'am just trying to build up ammonia in the tank?(cycle)?

Your trying to build bacteria which break down ammonia so yes you will need to build up ammonia to feed bacteria

Put the salt in the water before adding the live rock. Get it up to 1.025 or so. You will need about a pound to a pound and a half of rock per gallon of tank water for it to be an effective filter. If this rock is uncured/uncycled, it should have a lot of die off on it and this is what will start your cycle.

Back
Top Bottom