AC70 noisy motor help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaycapz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey so I could use some advice. I bought the AC 70 based on recommendations on here. Hooked it up, brand new filter and in my opinion I find the unit noisy. It's coming from the motor vibration. I tried leveling it and rinsing and restarting it. It vibrates the lid a little bit as well. Is this normal? I feel as if my aqueon 75 was quieter. How much should the motor vibrate on this thing?

Thanks!

Hey so I could use some advice. I bought the AC 70 based on recommendations on here. Hooked it up, brand new filter and in my opinion I find the unit noisy. It's coming from the motor vibration. I tried leveling it and rinsing and restarting it. It vibrates the lid a little bit as well. Is this normal? I feel as if my aqueon 75 was quieter. How much should the motor vibrate on this thing?

Thanks!

It happened to me at first.

Step 1. I took the top off, I don't use them at all

Step 2. When it started to make a almost grinding noise I took it apart and cleaned it seated it properly and it's been fine.

It sometimes makes noise and all I do is unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in. Noise it gone.

Also on my AC2110's I took that grey rack thing or whatever that is. It's totally useless and gets in my way lol.

Hmm good advice. I see alot of ppl say it needs to break in? I might try Vaseline as a lube for the impeller.

This thing can vibrate let me tell ya. I put my hand on the motor and it's really rattling.

I can hear this thing from 5-7 feet away! I really don't want to send it back. Just got it today!

Hmm good advice. I see alot of ppl say it needs to break in? I might try Vaseline as a lube for the impeller.

This thing can vibrate let me tell ya. I put my hand on the motor and it's really rattling.

I can hear this thing from 5-7 feet away! I really don't want to send it back. Just got it today!

I know the feeling!! I'll sit in the room and shut everything off and just listen to hear if its making noise. Try those thins first, there really good filters!! I LOVE them, I run perigean,bio max,sponge and chemi pure elite in one and the other is sponge, purigen, chemi pure elite, bio max and poly fill ( to pick up the fine fine debris)

The chemi pure I put in the spot to the left that area there is a good place for it. With those filters the possibilities are endless!! Give it a chance, if it doesn't change call them they will replace it.

Good luck!

So, I put Vaseline on the impeller area. It is a little quieter. It's mainly the vibration that's causing the noise. Since the tank is in a main living space I want to avoid tons of mechanical noises. Seems like that's the main complaint of these units. Hoping it breaks in a bit, otherwise ill have to try a new motor. **** shame.

I'm going to look into the options for biomedia. Those all sound good, do they make a big difference? I was mostly a FW guy, so this is all new to me. Thanks for all this info. Really helps.

So, I put Vaseline on the impeller area. It is a little quieter. It's mainly the vibration that's causing the noise. Since the tank is in a main living space I want to avoid tons of mechanical noises. Seems like that's the main complaint of these units. Hoping it breaks in a bit, otherwise ill have to try a new motor. **** shame.

I'm going to look into the options for biomedia. Those all sound good, do they make a big difference? I was mostly a FW guy, so this is all new to me. Thanks for all this info. Really helps.

It absolutely helps. Purigen and chemi pure elite for sure. I use it in my FW and SW tanks.

If you can fit a part of a mouse pad under the filter to isolate it from the tank, it'll be very quiet. And... the lid being off helps tremendously.

Well, no luck. The AC 70 and aqueon 55/75 both to noisy. Thought it was just me but the girlfriends first reaction "wow that's loud". So both HOBs are going back. Guess I'm left with trying a smaller filter like a aqueon or AC 50. I think at this point I may consider a canister. Any recommendations on a quiet canister? Are they truly quieter?

Again this is for a 26 gallon now front, probably only going to keep 2 clowns, 2 coral beauties to start. Appreciate the suggestions.

Well, no luck. The AC 70 and aqueon 55/75 both to noisy. Thought it was just me but the girlfriends first reaction "wow that's loud". So both HOBs are going back. Guess I'm left with trying a smaller filter like a aqueon or AC 50. I think at this point I may consider a canister. Any recommendations on a quiet canister? Are they truly quieter?

Again this is for a 26 gallon now front, probably only going to keep 2 clowns, 2 coral beauties to start. Appreciate the suggestions.

I can't believe there that loud. I've had severely and I know literally 30+ with them and nothing. Is get a replacement. Maybe a bad motor. But for the most part these are extremely popular HOB filters. And there quite. Sorry you had issues with it.

Yea, if I try putting it on the low setting it vibrates so loud I can hear it on my second floor. Are you supposed to hear a motor hum from 10 feet away?

Yea, if I try putting it on the low setting it vibrates so loud I can hear it on my second floor. Are you supposed to hear a motor hum from 10 feet away?

No not at all. I literally check once in awhile to see if there on. Sometimes they make a little noise from sand getting kicked into the impeller but a quick rinse and resetting of the impeller and its good to go.

Also I found sometimes if its making noise (not as loud as yours) but enough to hear it. I just quickly unplug then plug it back it real fast, seems the "jolt" solves the problem. I'd call the company. If watch this YouTube video I made. It's at night after my son is asleep. No noise.

http://youtu.be/gzgc-CXId3o

You can clearly hear background noise but nothing to the extent your talking about. I'm gonna make another video tonight when everyone is on bed. Of the operations of my AC110's.

Update

I replaced the impeller with an aquaclear 50, silent as can be. Must be the 70 and up impellers that get noisy.

Update

I replaced the impeller with an aquaclear 50, silent as can be. Must be the 70 and up impellers that get noisy.

Good to hear. I gotta tell ya. I bought a 70 for one of the tanks at the FD... Guess what? Noisy!!

BUT... The 110 is quiet! Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom