Achilles tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkey3425

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What makes them so difficult to keep (expert only)? I have a 210 gal with 275lbs of LR.
1-yellow belly hippo
1-yellow tang
1-blue jaw trigger
1-snowflake eel
2-OC clowns
2- black saddleback clowns
1-foxface
1-dotty back
1-lawnmower blenny
Cuc with a horseshoe crab and urchins

That species of tang is tougher to get to eat, gets a good size, and is one of the more aggressive.

I've herd of quite a few living a long time but I would assume they don't respond to stressful conditions well like water conditions and tank mates/new tank mates.

That species of tang is tougher to get to eat, gets a good size, and is one of the more aggressive. I've herd of quite a few living a long time but I would assume they don't respond to stressful conditions well like water conditions and tank mates/new tank mates.
So it's feeding that makes them difficult. I got a supplier that has me a 5" for $72 so I think I'm going to give it a try in our QT

So it's feeding that makes them difficult. I got a supplier that has me a 5" for $72 so I think I'm going to give it a try in our QT
It's the same reason why leopard wrasses are "expert only". I had the wrasse. It ate and care was no different than any other fish with the exception of needing live sand to sleep in. So if that's the only reason the tang in question is marked as expert only and you get it to eat it will be fine.

They need a lot of flow and I would not put it with the two tangs or the trigger you already have. They stress very easily, are difficult to get eating and basically ich magnets.

They stress out in closed systems. I wouldn't chance it. I think you have plenty of fish already.
Soon the 4 clowns and dotty back are going and I'm going with a predator tank. I'm thinking about selling my 55 reef and bringing my Red Sea max home from work. They let me buy it under office expenses so this years budget will have a Red Sea 250 in it :) perks of being in upper management of a large corporation. I'm gonna give the Achilles a try after I transfer the clowns to my MAX and sell the dotty back.

I say go for it. The achilles is my favorite tang and im aiming to have one eventually. Id like to see someones firsthand experience in housing one

Should be here in a week or so. :)

Attachments

• image-2917361261.jpg
    image-2917361261.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 72
I say go for it. The achilles is my favorite tang and im aiming to have one eventually. Id like to see someones firsthand experience in housing one
yeah I'm debating on rehomimg my yellow tang before the Achilles finishes QT. Just seems like EVERYONE has one and my tank just starts looking more and more like the next guys. Lol

I thought the same thing before i bought my yellow tang, however he adds soo mich color to the tank that im glad i got him now. Keep us updated on the achilles

I personally think it's the closed system that mr. X was talking about. They are ok in the vast areas of the ocean but not in our tanks. Diet might be another reason as they do not eat like they should in a closed system tank. Whatever the reason they are expert only for a reason.

That's what you're gonna find out. Clown tangs (of which I have one about 1/2 grown) are in the same category. This tang eats fine, but is way too aggressive for the community tank (300 gal). Some surgeonfish are flat out mean and should only be in very large systems or by themselves. Mine even beats up a rabbit fish three times his size.

advice is well taken but I'm going to give him a try. I'm bringing my red sea max home from work which has nothing but some corals and inverts since they didnt approve of "live" animals at work (crustaceans and other inverts were approved) and if it causes problems then i'll move other fish around in my tanks or re-home him. If i don't try it then he will sit in a little cube waiting to be sold or perish in some else's tank. At least I'm giving him the best shot possible with a wide open 210. only 4 fish that will stay in the 210 is the regal, foxface, trigger and eel

advice is well taken but I'm going to give him a try. I'm bringing my red sea max home from work which has nothing but some corals and inverts since they didnt approve of "live" animals at work (crustaceans and other inverts were approved) and if it causes problems then i'll move other fish around in my tanks or re-home him. If i don't try it then he will sit in a little cube waiting to be sold or perish in some else's tank. At least I'm giving him the best shot possible with a wide open 210. only 4 fish that will stay in the 210 is the regal, foxface, trigger and eel

You'll do fine. At least you're going into it with knowledge and your eyes open.

You'll do fine. At least you're going into it with knowledge and your eyes open.

Thanks for the support. I'll be keeping an update on the tang on here and maybe gather some info to help others out with keeping them.

Back
Top Bottom