Active Fish For My Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CluelessInNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
So far, since I've picked up this hobby in February, I've learned a lot about fish and sea life in general. The one thing I've found very disappoitning is that the fish I've selected are really quite inactive. The most active is my clown, but he's taken to lingering behind the heater. The other two fish I've nicknamed "the invisible fish" because friends and family never get to see them. The Watchman Goby and his unwanted roomie, the Firefish are completely out of sight for 98% of the day. The come out to feed and spend entire days sitting in the LR cave.
So, my question is....what kind of fish/creature can I next add that would also provide some "life" to my BORING tank? I kwo the clown will be territorial, but what if I add a slightly larger clown? Ideas?
20 gallon
LR with live sand
one hermit crab
one snail

If you are going to add another clown you will want to add a much smaller one. Typically the largest clown in a group will become the dominate female and if you add another large clown you will likely end up with two females that will fight terrible. If you add a very small one you stand a good chance of it being gender neutral. Be careful though as you may be getting close to what many people consider the max bioload with the fish you have now for that size tank. Kind of depends on filtration and how the levels are doing for your tank. You also down want to overcrowd as that will make fish more likely to show aggression.

Well said Pat.

Your options are somewhat limited to your tank size. Even adding another small clown could be pushing it. Most of the more active fish are going to need larger tanks. Tangs and Anthias are pretty active fish but they need much larger tanks.

You are pretty limited with such a small tank. 30g or higher and I'd suggest a 6 line wrasse as mine never ever stopped moving until it was "bedtime" when he'd disappear into the rocks for the night. he was lots of fun to watch and a great personality. But I agree that any more fish and you'll have nitrate issues as well as overcrowding.

Another question is why your clown is hiding behind the heater....doesn't seem like normal behavior to me.

I would say a couple Chromis. They prefer a larger tank becayse they are so active, but they should be happly enough in your tank. I have five Blue/Green Chromis in a 65g and all they do is zoom back and forth all day, very active!

I second the six-line wrasse. Although, they can be pretty aggressive after a while. Definitely an active fish with great coloration. Would be a great addition to a reef tank to help control some unwanted hitchhiker worms.

Back
Top Bottom