Added first fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesd28

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got my BioCube 14 gallon all set up, tank cycled, nitrates at acceptable level. Added 1 percula clownfish and a few small coral frags that the lfs told me require little light to survive. Below are some pics!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 235
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 243
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 242
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 239
looks good.... how about a clean up crew?

I definitely plan on adding a clean up crew; hopefully this weekend if my nitrates are low enough. I didn't want to add too much all at once last week when I got the fish and have a giant spike in nitrates. This is my first experience with owning any fish, let alone saltwater fish. I also plan on adding a mandarin goby that has already been in an established tank and learned to eat regularly.

To be honest, I am not sure what the corals are called. The one in the sand has lots of green things sprouting out of it now that it has been exposed to light for longer. I really like the other two as well.

I really want to add a yellowtail damsel, but have been advised to add him last and try to fine one that is smaller than the other fish in the tank to reduce the likelihood of him being aggressive.

I would like to eventually add another fish as well (either in addition to the yellowtail or instead of). Would that be too much for my tank to handle? Regardless of if it is in addition to or instead of the damsel, what are some cool looking fish that are small enough and peaceful to add?

THANKS!

I wouldn't add a mandarin only because they were born meant to eat copepods, and I feel that even though they can be trained to eat prepared food, it isn't healthy for them as they have a high metabolism and require constant feeding. I think almost any goby can work like a Twospot goby.

I would for sure rethink the mandarin. They are notoriously hard to keep. I purchased an ORA tank raised one a few weeks ago and she isn't eating as much as she should be. She was on pellets for her life and now won't touch them. lol They are know to revert back to pods frequently and I know that new 14g tank doesnt have enough to sustain one. Just some food for thought.
Also a 14g is a bit too small for them, they can grow to a few inches.

Have you looked at blenny's and maybe a royal gramma? Gramma is a very colorful fish and I think he would be ok in there. With a 14g tank you are kinda limited as to what you can put in. Or maybe a yellow wathcman goby, nie and colorful and he hangs out on the bottom, I have one in my cube.

How active are the watcman gobies? I have heard that they either hide all the time or just sit still in a certain area of the tank...kinda like a watchman haha. What is yours like, carey?

Mine comes out of his rock spot and just hangs out there. lol Nothing special but he is pretty colorful and doesnt take up a lot of tank real estate. :)

Gotcha :) do you know of good places online/physical stores to buy a spot feeder? And what is the best way to get the frozen food into the spot feeder? I have heard of putting the frozen cube in the water until it is basically soup and then just loading the spot feeder. I've also read about people not letting the cube completely turn into soup and running it through some type of fish net strainer and then feeding

jamesd28 said:
Gotcha :) do you know of good places online/physical stores to buy a spot feeder? And what is the best way to get the frozen food into the spot feeder? I have heard of putting the frozen cube in the water until it is basically soup and then just loading the spot feeder. I've also read about people not letting the cube completely turn into soup and running it through some type of fish net strainer and then feeding

I let my food thaw in a small container I remove all the extra water because of the phosphates then use a turkey baster to spot feed.

I hope that helps.. I don't remove all water just to the point I can't pour anymore out with out losing food.

But I use tap water for my setup... I know alot of poeple are agisnt it
. But it really depends on ur municipal water supply...

yeah I have heard that too. I live in Portland, OR and we have some of the best tap water in the country. I live right by a lfs that has RO/DI for 65cents/gallon though, so I use that just to be safe. I am new to the hobby and I'm still kinda paranoid about my fish dying while I'm at work for something

jamesd28 said:
yeah I have heard that too. I live in Portland, OR and we have some of the best tap water in the country. I live right by a lfs that has RO/DI for 65cents/gallon though, so I use that just to be safe. I am new to the hobby and I'm still kinda paranoid about my fish dying while I'm at work for something

If that's what u di then continue I will never knock anyone for using 4
Ro/Di water .. I eventally will buy a unit...

You have any advice for getting my water to be perfectly clear? It is pretty clear, but there are still some particles that are circulating around the tank. Idk if it is unsettled sand or something else

jamesd28 said:
You have any advice for getting my water to be perfectly clear? It is pretty clear, but there are still some particles that are circulating around the tank. Idk if it is unsettled sand or something else

Just give it time..

Is your filter rated just for ypur tank size? I biy atlwast 2 sizes above my actual tank size

Back
Top Bottom