Adding crushed coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadetoblack06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have sand now in my tank and I found a super deal at a local petshop that's no longer selling salt water equipment. What is the best way to add it to my tank without shocking the system. Obviously rinsing it very well but is there anything else I should do?

fadetoblack06 said:
I have sand now in my tank and I found a super deal at a local petshop that's no longer selling salt water equipment. What is the best way to add it to my tank without shocking the system. Obviously rinsing it very well but is there anything else I should do?

I would add it slowly and also add to a little area of the sand at a time over maybe a two week period. You don't want to cover your live sand and create a mini cycle.

Slow and steady and you should be fine.

Any reason you like the crushed coral? CC can be a nitrate factory when used as a substrate if not well maintained.

AquaRick said:
Any reason you like the crushed coral? CC can be a nitrate factory when used as a substrate if not well maintained.

I agree with this, and am interested to see the response.

I use CC I don't have any trate issues. So, I would have to disagree. I've been using since I set my tank up my trates haven't climbed above 20. And most of the time they are under 10.

Back
Top Bottom