Adding new live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oO BRIGHTY Oo

Aquarium Advice Freak
As our raccoon butterfly ate our mushrooms on our centre it looks a bit bare, so we was thinking of adding a large piece of live rock to add more feature.

Is there any problems in adding live rock to an established tank, is there anything i Should do to add it to prevent any problems?!

Unfortunately, live rock should not be added to a tank that already has specimens in it. During transportation, the some of the rock will die and cause an ammonia spike in your tank, and ammonia is deadly to fish.

Sorry. :(

All you have to do is cure the live rock before putting it in your tank. Get a small bucket, powerhead, and heater. Let it stay in that until you have no more ammonia and nitrites. You may also need to do some water changes, but you'll be fine to do this.

I have a little quarantine tank sitting doing nothing, is there anyway I could put it inside that for a while to let any ammonia spike happen before I put it in my DT?

And if that is possible when I come to put it in my DT could I do it during a pwc and rinse it through the water i'd taken out of the tank. Feel free to put your foot down if you feel this is a bad idea.

If your getting the rock from an LFS then there will be no die off or spikes of any kind...Definitely QT it...Could have tons of bad things you don't want in your DT..

If your not worried about hitch hikers, I would just add it to the tank. When I added ~20lbs i didnt do anything.

Back
Top Bottom