Addition of Live Rock ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefaddict

Aquarium Advice Freak
My LFS just got some "cured" Tonga LR. I want to get a a couple of small pieces. My question is, will I be able to place the LR right in the tank, I only have 2 fish right now, a yellow-tail damsel, and a tank raised Percula Clown, and a handfull of snails and hermits, and a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. All water perameters are normal.

Thanks for any suggestions!

in a 55 with only two fish and a few inverts a small addition of LR should be ok as long as it is in fact cured. Just note that this only really works when buying from a LFS. ordering even cured LR from an online dealer will result in die off on the rock and it should not be placed directly into an established tank. When you buy it, give it sniff (you can wait till your home if you're embarassed :wink: ) if it smells funky/nasty/rotten then it's not really "cured" and I would recommend curing on your own. If it smells relativly clean (I would describe it as smelling like fresh potting soil) then you should be good to go as long as it's not a large addition of rock.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

It's kinda funny, but it does smell like earth, dirt, or soil. :lach: I've checked out some other cured LR from a different LFS and it smelled the same as this stuff, so it must be good to go!!

Thanks again.

luvmyfishies said:
just a quick question. what if you currently have no live rock and the tank just cycled?
If pre-cured it should not be a concern and will improve bio filtration. If uncured, as long as there are no animals in the tank it would also be fine but will renew the cycle.

Cheers
Steve

There is no such thing as "fully cured" LR because as soon as it hits your tank it will be competing with it's biology for resources. My idea of "cured" LR is stuff that's been sitting in a tank with fish for a few months, not just off a plane from timbuk-two. The last bunch of LR I got that was called 'cured' I literally had to boil it because it was full pests and causing ammonia spikes. Then again some dealers *are* telling the truth - in my case he wasn't, and I'm not trying to scare you off.

A few pieces added to an established tank shouldn't cause a problem though, and if the current LR is in good shape and has good circulation, a minor ammonia spike will be naturally absorbed in quick time. That's the whole point of LR in the first place. It would not be a bad idea to just keep an eye on ammonia levels for the next 3-5 days. Doesn't hurt to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom