additional filter/waterflow recommendations - help please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bschnuck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have setup a 55 gal FOWLR, and will be going through the cycling portion now. I have @ 100lbs of live rock in the tank a 3 inch DSB, plan on having 5 or 6 small fish outside of the clean-up crew. Currently i have 2 Maxijet 1200's running on the 2 sides of the tank both pointed slightly down in hoping to create the current ive read about on posts here. Are there any other water flow or filters outside of the skimmer i should add?

Also, if i were to add an additional PH with a sponge attachment, would that act as a "filter" that would pick up any larger items that may floating through the tank like a HOB filter would? I guess that is my biggest concern, filtering some of that junk out.

If you're careful about not over feeding, and have an adquate clean up crew, there shoudln't be a ton of large matter to filter out. that said, a pre-filter on a PH would be fine, just remember to clean the sponge off a few times a week to keep it efficient..and from becoming a nitrate source.

Back
Top Bottom