Additives...needed/ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read that protein skimmer will skim important trace minerals out of the water. I will only have a FOWLR right now, but a reef in the future. Do I need to monitor and add trace minerals to the water now, or should I wait until it's a reef? I'd think the fish would need the minerals too, but I'm not sure, so I'm asking. :)

Also, I have some StressCoat from a former tank (a freshwater that was taken down a month ago) and it says it is intended for use in fresh- and saltwater. It has aloe to help repair fin damage and it's a dechlorinator. Would it be alright to use? Also, StressZyme by the same company, is concentrated bacteria that are supposed to help in the biological filtration. Also says it is intended for both fresh- and saltwater use. Think it really is safe, and if it will do anything at all? TIA for the info!

The skimmer will remove a certain amount of trace elements but not really enough to concern you for a FOWLR. At this time in the tanks developement you could easily maintain any defficiencies with weekly 10-15% water changes. Once the tank becomes a reef you will find that the calcerous animals and other corals added will consume far more than the skimmer could export. At that time it would be necessary to look at certain chem additions.

As far as the Stresscoat and Stresszyme are concerned you can use them but IME you don't need the bacterial additive providing the tank has been set up efficiently and properly cycled. You will also find that water conditioners that contain aloe will greatly affect the skimmer and cause it to produce excess foam and cause a mess. I would suggest finding one that does not contain aloe.

Cheers
Steve

If your gonna use a skimmer please dont add stresscoat to your tank. Within a minute of adding this your skimmer is going to go crazy andit will probably fill the collection cup in a few seconds as it trys to remove the same aloe slime that supposedly replaces the fish's slime coat.

Anything you add to the tank in the way of food, additives, minerals, etc will affect a well running skimmers performance. Some people will turn their skimmer off for a few hours after feeding or after dosing trace elements to allow the fish/corals a chance to absorb some before the skimmer works on removing them.

I only add kalk to my tanks. The rest of the trace elements I replentish via regular water changes.

so the additives such as calcium, iodine, magnesium, and stroneum will be depleted by the skimmer? I have a few soft corals that I have been adding these elements for but I leave the skimmer on 24/7. Is it wise to not even have a skimmer on a 10 gal /LR/LS reef tank? I thought a skimmer was mostly for removing the bad algaes to promot the growth of red algae.

Yes a skimmer will remove 'SOME' of those trace elements. Unless you have a huge skimmer on a very small tank its doubtful it will remove ALL of those elements from the water.

A skimmers job is to remove disolved organic compounds. Only thru the removal of these compounds could it be used to reduce the growth of algae. A skimmer wont directly remove algae nor promote algae.

Back
Top Bottom