Advice on propsed live rock quantity ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jddias67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All-
I am getting ready to place an order and want to see if this sounds reasonable. I am starting a 120 gal tank. (60"longx18"widex26"high). I am planning 45lbs Fiji, 45lbs Tonga, and 45lbs "base" rock. I am planning to purchase from Premium Aquatics - I had a good experience with them a few years back on my last tank. --' any thought on quantity? Is this enough to make a good presentation? Decisions-decisions!!!
Thanks - john

Sounds like a good amount to me. I currently have ~65 lbs in my 55. So, double that and you have almost your tank. I have had a few things (crabs mostly, no fish yet, knock on wood) die and haven't seen any adverse effects. You will definitely have a variety of rock. Out of curiosity, where are you going to get your base rock? I bought mine from Hirocks and was very impressed. HTH

Base rock -

I am getting my base rock from the LFS. They have OK base rock but their "live" rock lacks much "life!"

Mix and match the fiji and tonga to fit your desires. The amount of rock will look good in the tank. You might be able to get another 20-40 lbs in there after the rock you list is in there. Kind of depends on how dense the tonga and base rock is. Fiji is usually less dense so it takes up more surface area per lb.

Back
Top Bottom