Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank, it's inhabitants now include 5 blue legged crabs, 1 large scarlet crab, 1 peppermint shrimp, and Lennie the horned blenny.
Will it be ok to add 3 green or blue chromis? I also would like a dwarf angel of some kind in a few months but I'm wondering if that may be overload. The tank is not quite 3 months old but all the water paremeters are good. 3 inches of LS and approx 30 lbs LR.

Thanks for any advice.

you will be pushing the limit by adding the chromis, the angel will definitely be too much.

In a young tank it is very important to add livestock very slowly. For now, if all water parameters are good, go ahead and add the angel. Wait for a few weeks and see how things go before adding the chromis. Success in this hobby is directly related to taking things slowly.

I did plan on waiting. So, if I were to add a dwarf angel now, is there a small fish I could also add in a school after I wait a couple of months? I'd like to have 3 of something small...no damsels please. I can see already I'm going to have to go to a larger tank soon. lol

IMO, you can do the angel OR the small school, but not both. It would be too much for that tank size.

Thank you for your advice. Now I have to decide which I want....angel or small school.
I really appreciate all the input here. :) I don't want to kill anything.

IMO, you can do the angel OR the small school, but not both. It would be too much for that tank size.
I agree. This is the best practice to follow.

I know that this is totally crazy but I have a friend that has a 30g long tank and she has 10fish in it, 2 of which are a yellow tang and a sailfin. She also has a maroon clown in there. All three big fish. The weird thing about it is it has been over stocked this way for about six months. She has had no deaths and no illness. Me on the other hand I have a 125g tank with only six small fish and I am currently treating ick. Go figure. I do everything by the book. I even go over board on my acclimation. She floats her fish 20 minutes and dumps them in and I am the one fighting ick!!!!

Thank you all for your input. I was told by the sales manager at my LFS that I could add more fish if I had a protein skimmer. So far all I have is a horned blennie. Happiest, little fish I've ever seen. :D
He also said that so much depends on so many things that you can't set a fast rule. Just use common sense. I agree with him.
My next purchase will be a protein skimmer. Not sure which brand yet. Have heard pros and cons on a few different ones so I'm still in a state of confusion.

tmkx3 said:
I know that this is totally crazy but I have a friend that has a 30g long tank and she has 10fish in it, 2 of which are a yellow tang and a sailfin. She also has a maroon clown in there. All three big fish. The weird thing about it is it has been over stocked this way for about six months. She has had no deaths and no illness. Me on the other hand I have a 125g tank with only six small fish and I am currently treating ick. Go figure. I do everything by the book. I even go over board on my acclimation. She floats her fish 20 minutes and dumps them in and I am the one fighting ick!!!!

There is a very big difference between what is physically possible and what SHOULD be done. Anyone that has any fishkeeping ethics would know that the above situation is wrong and cruel to the fish. It is also a timebomb waiting to explode. It isnt a matter of IF it will happen, but WHEN it will happen.

It is also a timebomb waiting to explode. It isnt a matter of IF it will happen, but WHEN it will happen.

Ditto. That many fish in that tank is way too much. I have a 30 gallon and am hesitant to even add ONE other fish with my clowns.

Gina, I too agree with the angel OR the school or chromis. Personally, I like the chromis idea better. Angels are nice, but sensitive. I think you'd get more enjoyment out of a school. What about Pajama Cardinalfish?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=85

I am fairly positive that they should be just fine in your 30 gallon, in a small school (3 or so). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Wow, you read my mind, Devillishturtles. I had decided on pajama cardinals but am not certain if I should do 2 or 3. I've heard uneven numbers. I do a 15-20%water change every week and the cards are small so I think 3 might be okay if I keep tabs on the water.

I know that this is totally crazy but I have a friend that has a 30g long tank and she has 10fish in it, 2 of which are a yellow tang and a sailfin. She also has a maroon clown in there. All three big fish. The weird thing about it is it has been over stocked this way for about six months. She has had no deaths and no illness.
this is very poor practice. Please do not confuse the issue of "bioload" with that of choosing the appropriate fish for the appropriate tank. This has clearly not been done in this case.

seriously, the issue with the this gentleman's tank is bioload. I would recomend either or, but If he was willing to keep up on water changes then it is possible to stock both. I must admit I have a 29 gallon that is what would be considered over stocked BUT I do tons of water changes and that goes a long ways. I would definitly recomend doing one or the other but the caveat does exist.

Back
Top Bottom