After live rock what's next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spence0416

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if I should start adding food to my tank? I know I have a few small crabs, and some sort of mantis shrimp. Hopefully, I'll find some more hitchhikers, but for now do these guys need anything? Should I also start doing water changes? 10%?

How long have you had the rock in there? Who did you get the rock from? What are the following readings: PH, Alk, SG, NO2, NO3, NH4?

First of all its a 10 gal nano. I added a 5# piece of live rock 3 days ago that I got from my LFS (nothing more than corraline algae on it). Today I added 10# from liverocks.com. Now the readings are

PH 8.2
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 2.0
Nitrate 0.75
SG 1.022
Have not tested for anything esle as I was waiting for the cycle to end before buying the other test kits.

I figure I was about 1/2 way through the cycle, but with the new rock I'll probably get another Ammonia spike.

Also I got 2 ID questions

1. About 5 hitchhikers almost look like small hermit crabs but have a tall pointed shell and are a purple color similar to corraline algae

2. Also a puple color but almost seem as if the live rock opens and a little arm tries to grab at the water column

Back
Top Bottom