aggresive bi-colored blenny!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drummerj

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I read that they are supposed to be pretty peaceful, and I have one in my tank. The thing is, I just watched him face off with my goby, and attack a neon blenny. I really don't want any fights between my fish!

Usually the rule with blennies, is one blenny per tank...because they can be agressive towards other blennies, and even fish that share the same space (like gobies). You will probably have to take it back.

I'll keep an eye on him. I was told that there wouldn't be too much trouble between a neon blenny and a bi colored. the neon keeps going very near the bi colored's home though.

This is from liveaquaria.com:
"Some believe the Bicolor Blenny is not safe with other species members and may pick on gobies and firefish. Others say the Bicolor Blenny is a peaceful community fish. Some say the Bicolor Blenny is safe around invertebrates and other sources say it will eat them. The best alternative is probably to combine these groups cautiously."
So, it could go either way.....

basically since my last post ive been watching my tank. The clown is very amusing, the damsel was actually in the power head current with the clown, my goby is eating stuff, and the neon is actually going around the tank. What I've noticed is the bi-colored is unbelievably territorial. The clown came close to it and it got all tensed up until the clown went away. I also observed it ramming an empty snail shell off of its rock 'house'. It really is a beautiful fish though. Its purple then has orange that changes to yellow on the tail.

I think you are pushing your luck with that many fish of a like type in a 30 gallon tank. It would be different if it was 75 gallons and they had alot of space to claim their own territories, but in your case they don't.

I dunno. It doesnt seem to be much trouble anymore. The neon moved itself to the other side of the tank, while the bi-colored is on the other. If any problems arise I'll take the neon back.

Back
Top Bottom