Aggressive clownfish during feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sapfire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two clownfish and when I feed them I have one that is a bit more aggressive and will try to keep the other one from eating. I'm looking at getting another kind of fish and I'm not sure of two things:
1. What would be a good compatibility fit with clownfish
2. Will this clownfish continue to be aggressive as I add other fish?
I've had the two clownfish for about a month now and all the chemical levels are stable and good.
When I first got the clownfish it was not aggressive and has only started showing signs about a week ago. And it is only aggressive when I feed them. Other times it will just swim around the tank beside the other one. I feed them two times a day...
Do you think they need more food? When I do feed them they don't eat it all...

In a pair of clowns, the aggression comes from one clownfish becoming the female of the pair. The more dominant one will be the female. I don't think you'll see a problem when adding other types of fish but you can never be too certain, they do have a mind of their own.

As far as feeding goes, twice a day is quite a bit. I believe every other day would work just fine, especially with just two clowns.

Well I thought it was being aggressive because it was hungry... I'll cut back on the feedings. Thanks!

Are the clowns similar in size or is there a noticeable difference. Cause like Sergie said, one will become female the other male. I've heard that the bigger one becomes the female, but that may not always be the case.

Fish always seem to be hungry. Mine will come to the top if I'm just walking by the tank. I used to think I had to feed them twice a day, but have since realized that they do just fine w/ every other day feedings.

Are the clowns similar in size or is there a noticeable difference. Cause like Sergie said, one will become female the other male. I've heard that the bigger one becomes the female, but that may not always be the case.

Fish always seem to be hungry. Mine will come to the top if I'm just walking by the tank. I used to think I had to feed them twice a day, but have since realized that they do just fine w/ every other day feedings.
In a mated pair the largest is normally the female , otherwise if they are new tank mates the most dominant will become the female.All clowns start off as males,males can change to females but not back.

Back
Top Bottom