Aiptasia Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muleycrazy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:banghead:
Both of my tanks have aiptasia anemone that came with the live rock. Of course me being new to this didn't know they were so bad. Sad thing is that the place I bought them from didn't bother to remove them while they had the live rock in their tanks or even bother to tell me what they were.:banghead:

Anyways, how can I remove them without hurting my fish and my hammer head corral. Is there something that I can add to the water or do I have to treat each one individually like I have read. There is tons of them and I just don't see how to get that done. I do have some peppermint shrimp on the way hoping they will take care of it. If not, what else can I do?:fish2:

I had some luck with a Peppermint Shrimps. Mind you this is NOT a guaranteed fix but in my case it worked.

:banghead:
Both of my tanks have aiptasia anemone that came with the live rock. Of course me being new to this didn't know they were so bad. Sad thing is that the place I bought them from didn't bother to remove them while they had the live rock in their tanks or even bother to tell me what they were.:banghead:

Anyways, how can I remove them without hurting my fish and my hammer head corral. Is there something that I can add to the water or do I have to treat each one individually like I have read. There is tons of them and I just don't see how to get that done. I do have some peppermint shrimp on the way hoping they will take care of it. If not, what else can I do?:fish2:

I had some luck with my peppermint shrimps...local shop also recommended a nudibranch: but they're pricey and the negative is that they ONLY eat aiptasia...so once it's gone, unless you can find the thing (and they're pretty small), it's going to die.

Copper banded butterflies also tend to feast on them but again, it's their primary food source. I've had one that I was able to get to eat other things but, for the most part, once the aiptasia was gone so was the fish.

Use Aiptasia-x. It works wonders. one bottle of the stuff will last you forever. I had some big ones that the peppermint's woundn't touch. They like the samller ones. But aip-x is great. With in mins the anemone is gone.

Hope this helps.

I got the Aiptasia-x and used it in my smaller aquarium. That stuff is good. Although a few have to be re-treated, but I am very happy with the outcome. Just waiting to see if my peppermint shrimp will consume the aiptasia in my larger aquarium.
Thanks everyone for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom