Algae Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheIrishJedi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will be using conditioned tap water for my 10g FOWLR. I know I run the risk of battling algae, so what critters should I get to fight it if it does become a problem.

Instead of buying a band-aid solution (livestock to fight nusiance algae), go right to the root of the problem. Spend $100 and buy an RO/DI unit and you won't have to worry about your water being the source of any problems.

Given it's only a 10 gallon tank you could also just buy the RO, RO/DI/Distilled water by the one/five gallon from the lfs (if they have it) or grocery store. Or even pre-mix saltwater from the lfs

Long term buying the unit as ccCapt suggests is the better route.

Live stock-wise, do some research on snails, crabs, fish that eat algae and they types of algae

I agree with Larry. Nip the problem in the bud and dont put a bandaid over it.

Forgive me if I am being direct, but sometimes I wish people would answer the question at hand if they are going to respond to it. We as a society have a problem of not listening. I did not ask about RO/DI, I asked about critters. And yes, RO/DI is the better solution in the long run, but info on that I do not currently require.

I appreciate you all for taking the time to help me.

Personally from me you are going to get the truth and not want you want to hear. The solution is to get rid of the algea and not let it run rampant in your tank. There are very few of anything that will eat nuisance algea. I think you`ve recieved very good advice from some of the best at this site. I dont think you are being direct I just think you want to hear what you want to hear.As I said before I`m telling you the best solution IMO. You can take it or leave it. I have no problem with that.

Personally from me you are going to get the truth and not want you want to hear. The solution is to get rid of the algea and not let it run rampant in your tank. There are very few of anything that will eat nuisance algea. I think you`ve recieved very good advice from some of the best at this site. I dont think you are being direct I just think you want to hear what you want to hear.As I said before I`m telling you the best solution IMO. You can take it or leave it. I have no problem with that.

That is just it, I know it is good advice. I knew it before I asked the question. Therefore I didn't need to ask advice on it. MmmmKay?

Now that tidbit of there being very few things that eat nuissance algae gets me one step closer to what I seek. :cool:

lol.

Forgive me if I am being direct, but sometimes I wish people would answer the question at hand if they are going to respond to it. We as a society have a problem of not listening. I did not ask about RO/DI, I asked about critters. And yes, RO/DI is the better solution in the long run, but info on that I do not currently require.

I appreciate you all for taking the time to help me.

If it's facts you want then save us all the time.

The answer to all your questions can be found right here.

Google

and you're right, society does have a terrible habit of only hearing what they want to hear. The quick answer, the polite answer, the expedient answer instead of the fully rounded answer.

Personally... I'd rather have too much information, which then allows me to filter out the stuff I find useless.

{Edited out remarks referring to snarky post that has since been removed. Didn't make sense anymore...}

Oh... and to answer your question... snails.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom