Algae in fish only tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studioac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 90 gallon fish only tank with rocks, shells, and ceramic decorations and crushed coral substrate. No live rock. It's been running about 3 months. Water parameters good and fish are fine. Protein skimmer and UV sterilizer working well. Have some diatoms but they seem to be decreasing. Now more green algae in substrate and green and purple algae growing on rocks and decorations. My question is, I know that for FOWLR setups some algae is good, but what about fish only tanks? Should I scrape off the algae or leave it? Any benefit to having the algae in a fish only system? I don't like Ge brown diatoms but don't mind e green and purple stuff.

Can you post a pic? It could be cyano which is a result of poor water quality or coralline which is the opposite.

Thanks for your reply.
90 gallon fish only with protein skimmer and UV sterilizer.
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites <5
77degrees
Salinity 26 (purposely low)
After reducing light, performing a partial water change, plus the addition of a Kole tang and a flame angel, the algae situation seems to be resolving itself pretty nicely. Minimal diatoms and the green stuff in the substrate eaten up mostly by the tang. I guess my question is whether or not you can cultivate "good" macroalgae in a fish only tank without live rock or a refugium. I guess I'm not used to the act that you have to scrape off some algae and at the same time feed them other algae, but I guess that's just the way it is.

Yellow-eyed Kole tang
Flame angel
Solorensis red head fairy wrasse
Purple fire fish
Pair of ocellaris clowns
Valentini puffer
Long nose hawkfish
3 damsels (they haven't killed each other yet)

I'll probably add a goby and that's it (unless I listen to everyone's advice and return the damsels!)

Good to hear. You could use macro
Algae in the sump. It will
Get eaten by the tang and angel if added to the tank.

How long do you have your lights in a day ? Reduce that and clean your tab regularly and you shouldn't have a problem , algae comes from leaving your lights on too long

Algae comes from excess nutrients ie nitrates and phosphates. Light will promote growth, but if both are at 0, your not going to get algae. If the levels are at 0 and you have algae, it is because the algae is eating all of the nitrates and phosphate, resulting in a test result of 0.

Back
Top Bottom